I'm thinking of buying a Digital Camcorder

kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
edited November 2007 in Internet & Media
Currently the one I'm thinking of getting is a JVC GZ-MG135U. It's a HDD camera with 30gb disk, plus SDRAM. It's on sale for $599 at a local store

Specs
FEATURES:
  • The 30GB hard disk can record 10.5 hours of DVD quality video, and over 37 hours in economy mode.
  • Because it is HDD, you have random access to each scene, easy deletion of unwanted scenes, no risk of recording over previous memories and even the ability to edit scenes right on the camcorder without using a computer.
  • With S/AV, USB 2.0 & I-Link connections, whether you using a PC, a MAC or a DVD burner, viewing a transferring information is a breeze, and to make archiving your memories even easier, the GZ-MG135 has a Direct-DVD button and a Direct-Back-up button for one touch operation.
  • The JVC Everio also keeps your recorded memories safe and secure by using a full floating mechanism & gravity sensor to protect the hard drive.
  • The GZ-MG135 also has a 2.7" 16x9 Clear LCD screen, auto-illumi-ilght & remote control and SD card slot for added convenience and versatility.
  • Included In Box: Docking Station, CD-ROM Software, Shoulder Strap, Battery, Remote, USB Cable, AV Cables, AC Adapter
Anyone have any experience/opinions with this or similar cameras?

The price/feature list seems pretty good to me and it's got a light on it for video recording which several other cameras in a similar range don't have. I figure I'll typically be using it for 'family' type stuff, baby's first steps, christmas etc...etc.... I want something that takes a decent picture, with sound and is generally easy to use (for non-geek types). Basically a good general purpose video cam. I expect to pay in the $500-600 range.

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The main criteria i based my search on when buying a camera was image quality and low light quality. A lot of home movies are taken in poor lighting and the better your camera performs in those situations the higher quality your movies. I would highly recommend your camera have 3CCDs.

Dig around in this review site: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ They have great info on a lot of models including how well they perform in low light.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the link, I'm thinking I may have to re-evaluate that camera.
    edited November 2007
    don't know if you already bought a camera but here is a decent deal on a 3ccd dvd camera: http://www.dealhack.com/archives/2007/11/panasonic_vdrd300_3ccd_dvd_cam.html
    edited November 2007
    I haven't yet, thanks for the link.
    edited November 2007
    For the record I picked up the Panasonic SDR-H18 for $498. Which is $100 less then anywhere else in Canada. The shame of it is that I wanted the H200 for the 3ccd's however it's only retailing in canada for $799 and even though it's only $549 in the states, they won't export it to canada from any online retailers because of warranty BS.

That being said. In testing thus far. I'm really happy with this camera. Granted I'm not going to be filming any major movies and I want it for family vid type **** so HDTV isn't a requirement. The Optical Image stabilization over most other camera's in the same $$$ range was a key factor as the others stick with digital stabilization which sucks.

So bottom line. Wanted a simple to use camera (for the wife) with good picture quality in normal conditions that I don't have to fuss around with tapes, or dvd's or other media. This thing delivers.
    edited November 2007
    Cool buy. Glad you found something that you are happy with, that is the most important part.