pc's on but no-ones home

edited December 2007 in Hardware
Hey ok heres my problem im rather pc illiterate so i dont have a sodding clue whats wrong.

I power on my pc and all the fans start i hear 1 beep then nothing else, i can open my disk drive door and close again, my keyboard doesnt power up tho like it should when its booting.

It started last night my pc was running and id just closed microsoft office, went to the toilet came back and i heard a noise like a ping, the screen went blue, no type or anything just blue, and wouldnt do anything so i left it for 5 mins incase it sorted itself..... nothing so i restarted the pc and then it just does what ive described.

Any help would bemuch appreciated.

ty in advance.

stec

Comments

• edited November 2007
    doesnt matter problem solved, seems one of my 1 gig ram cards was the criminal, took it out and woosh all systems go again, back to downloading por.... i mean working out the finances :P
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You can always trouble shoot ram by running memtest. It is a handy tool.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2007
    Glad your sorted - welcome to Icrontic :)
  • edited December 2007
    Ok well ive bought 2 new 1 gig ram cards put both in and nothing happens, take the 2nd out and the pc starts but only registers the card left in as 512mb :S if i ad my old 512 to the 2nd slot it starts up fine but after a while i either get some memory error message which crashes the game im playing (normally WOW) or i hear a loud click and my screen goes blue pretty similar to bsod but without the error message.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh my mother board is an asus p4p800s
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    The memory may be bad...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    memtest
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    List of compatible ram modules from crucial
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P4P800S

The recognising only 512MB on a 1 GB stick may be due to RAM density and the number of chips on the ram modules.