RAID Lost - How do I recover

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hello all
I was very happy to find a forum where users are familiar with the ins and outs of various RAID setups and so I wonder if you could possibly help me out of the pickle I have found myself in.

I am running Win XP Pro on an ASUS P5GDC Deluxe board with an onboard ITE 8212 RAID controller and 2 160Gb Maxtor PATA drives.

I set it up as RAID 1 from the beginning and have been happily using it that way for over 1 year.

My problem is that
The RAID controller recognizes the 2 drives but as of recently does not recognize the array that was there before.

The data on the drives seems to be intact when I slaved each on onto another system.

In the setup utility I can't rebuild the array because there is no array listed to rebuild and if I choose to create an array it warns me that "all data will be lost" (not an option).

In reading through the threads on your site I thought I would try to have XP Repair the setup and recover my array for me.

And that is how I arrived at the dead-end I have found myself at now.

I ran XP from the CD and pressed F6 as requested.
When asked to supply the drivers for the controller on a floppy in the A: drive I did so and got the following error message which I cannot seem to get past:

iteraid.sys caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to go from here?

Yes,there is always the option of saving the data, wiping the drives clean and starting from scratch but I really am reserving that as a last option.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You raid drivers on the floppy are the wrong version. Try updating them.
  • edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    You raid drivers on the floppy are the wrong version. Try updating them.

the drivers I have on the floppy were created from the original ASUS installation CD.

In trying to find updates the only ones I can find are on the ASUS website but the file size is 3.8Mb - too large for a floppy and when running XP from CD there is no option to load drivers from anywhere but the A: drive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I know, but often the drivers on the original CD are very buggy and/or don't work. On two motherboards, the "Press F2" drivers for the floppy drive have been corrupt on the original CD.
  • edited November 2007
    What do you suggest I do?
  • edited November 2007
    Thank you very much Thrax.
    Your suggestion paid off.
    I found newer drivers on the web that were accepted and got past that bottleneck.

I was then able to get windows to do a REPAIR....well kind of.

It went through the entire 39 minute install/repair sequence but at the end when it rebooted, the computer hanged.
    After few seconds of the windows logo the screen turned Teal Blue and blank (NOT the BSOD). In addition the mouse froze.

What to do now? Any Ideas anyone?