is my power supply dying?

shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
edited November 2007 in Hardware
i have been having random bouts of computer problems. If i leave my computer to go to standby, when i come back and try to awaken it I get disk action and then nothing. when I try to restart it i can hit the button all i want and nothing, i have to unplug it and hit the pwerbutton then reconnect the power and then it works fine, just like if you acidentally cross wires hooking up a fan while its running and it shuts down. i also every once and a while get random restarts and problems fresh booting. this pwoer supply has been questionable since day one since It created a buzzing sound in my breaker box but i thought that was just my wiring. So should i replace it?

Im running whats in my sig with 4 fans

MBM shows:
Core0- 1.61
core1- 3.3
+3.3- 2.94
+5- 5.15
+12- 10.46
-12- 5.73
-5- 0
I dont belive all this in the bios it all shows up normal but maybe system load is messing it up.

ps I just realized that this didnt start happening till i got my new hd and hd cooler so the extra load may have set it off

thanks in advance

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You may be right, those voltages look a little scary. +3.3 and +12V are both more than 10% out of spec, and the -12V looks like a complete misreading.

What kind of power supply is in your machine? It doesn't need a huge amount of power based on your sig, but something from a reputable manufacturer is almost always better than generic...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You may indeed have a failing PSU, but I would not trust any software monitoring program. I am on my third board in a row that shows my 12V and 3.3V as more than 10% lower than spec, regardless of what software I monitor it with. But, my multimeter shows all my rails as within .5% and I know this PSU is solid.

just sayin
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You need to measure the voltage rails with a real meter to be sure.
    If it is out of spec do not hesitate to get a new one!!! Bad power supplies are the #1 hardware killer!!:eek:
    (next to stupidity of course):bigggrin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If your PSU was of questionable quality to begin with and is as old as the rest of your system, It is probably due for a replacement.
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited November 2007
    I'm reading 12.5 and 4.9 with my multimeter

its made by premier and its 350W