IS On-Board LAN RJ45 on a PC-Gyps P23 a FAKE Jack Connection?!

edited November 2007 in Hardware
I'm in a state of severe depression and high anxiety...I bought a PCChips board (I KNOW BEeeeeeg Mistake! Next time I'll pay MORE for something that ain't mongrul)

I have tried EVERYTHING to install the driver for the LAN (inboard) which reports (in the so called start up manual) this to be a P23G with a VIA P4M800Pro Northbridge and VT8237R+ Southbridge with the "Fast Ethernet LAN Single Chip 100Base-TX/10Base-T Physical Layer Solution.

I have used my PC Chips Disk and downloaded over ONE HUNDRED seperate downloads(ALL ZIPPED=producing over a thousand files) to try to Install this Lan Driver and the closest I come is: 1.) "Wrong NIC -Press Exit" or 2.) the 'yellow !' in my Hardware Device Driver Reports ! (not working.)

I have a Zoom X6 ADSL combo modem Wireless Router which simply has 4 RJ45 (Physical) connection points--ONE of which connects to said "dead" In Board RJ45 Lan connector.
Someone told me this is not a PC Chips or a VIA Product? Isn't VIA-ARENA A REALLY, REALLY BAD Ad Site?

Two of my roommates-- now former friends-- on my wireless network are threatening to poison me if they have to play ONE more P.C. Game !
Can ANYONE HELP me ? I need to Install a driver that actually DRIVES this On-Board LAN connection?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Via-arena is actually the enthusiast section of VIA's websites. It's safe. ;)

I'll be back with a link in a few hours that you can download to help us ID this network chipset.
  • edited November 2007
    WOW ! What a TIMELY Reply !
    This Just In: THRAX is either a god send or an autobot ! <g>
    Thanks, Dude !
    edited November 2007
    http://halfdone.com/ukd/

Download and run that. Do NOT extract the PCIDEVS.zip file. Post all the results from the network card section back here.
  • edited November 2007
    Here you go ...should be Attached as a Text File !
    IndexterUNKNOWNDevices.txt

Note: Did NOT SEE a PCIDEVs.zip file Just a PCIDEVs.txt file in the unzipped files.

Thanks !
    Dave from the ATL

//MODERATOR EDIT: I have removed your product key from the text file you posted for the safety of your Microsoft Windows XP product.
    -Thrax
    edited November 2007
    Oh good, whatever works. Going through the log now.
    edited November 2007
    You have a LOT of network card driver clutter going on.

Try these: http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c905.htm

Download part 1 and part 2 of the EtherCD v5.4 software to the same folder, and then run the .exe for part1. Make sure you've removed all traces of other network drivers as well.
  • edited November 2007
    The ancient 3Com Card I'm running this ON here--as I type-- was given to me by Rip Van Winkle on loan. It's obviously working here now. However, Rip needs the 3Com Back before his next nap. All of the Rhine Drivers were attempts at driving the on-board 'dummy' fake RJ45 LAN connection as described in my original post from the P23 Documentation "the Fast Ethernet LAN Single Chip 100Base-TX/10Base-T Physical Layer Solution."
    I'll download the 3Com driver and then once again remove the 3Com that's working and see if I get a kicker from XP for the "Real Phantom Driver." I suppose I could buy a new up-to-date PCI Ethernet RJ45 LAN Card-Any suggestions? ($20 range)