windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

bokbok
edited November 2007 in Hardware
EDIT- why are there lines going through the bottomhalf of my text :p

Hi, yesterday I seemed to have pissed my computer off and now I get this lovely message when I try to start it up.

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attampt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair".

Well I don't enjoy fixing computer but this didn't seem like anything hard. That was until I started :)

I changed the BIOS setting so the cd-rom was primary and inserted the disk and yet I'm still getting this error, infact changing the boot priority has changed nothing. I know the drive is working as I was using it literaly an hour if that before this all happened.

For reference I'm using a gigabyte G4-K8N-SLI motherboard with an sli setup on it.

There are three options at the bottom of my screen when I start up my computer
{del} BIOS setup/Q Flash
{f9} XpressRecovery
{f12} Boot menu
As I've already mentioned I've been through the bios options and I'm not having much luck there, no. 2 is for IDE drives and I'm running a sata drive. No.3 though seems important and when I enter it it shows HD as being selected, there is a menu however it freezes after loading and I have to restart my PC to get out.

I've read up on how to deal with the missing/corrupt file on the microsoft website however I can't find anything for why my cd-rom won't boot.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Apparently you discovered an html tag I didn't know about - when you typed in < del >, that appears to make it a "strikeout". ;D
  • bokbok
    edited November 2007
    Apparently you discovered an html tag I didn't know about - when you typed in < del >, that appears to make it a "strikeout". ;D

Heh, thanks for fixing it.