Asus Z83T shutdown problem

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hello people,

Hoping for a few tips here, since Asus customer support ain't so great.
Namely, i bought an Asus Z83T notebook in 02/2007, to be used for work and leisure.
Worked perfectly under say "hard" conditions until 4 days ago. By "hard" conditions i remember running on him simultaniously few IE windows, DVD's, WoW, MSword etc. etc. without any problems or slowdowns.
4 days ago, i had a first emergency shutdown. you know, screen goes black, comp hangs for about 3 sec, only solution is to completely shut it down.
Did a lot of experimenting, what follows are the facts:

-at first it was only happening when playing WoW or running DvD's.
-at first it was only happening on AC power, never on battery.
-at first cooling it extra a bit from an outside source helped.
-nothing is ever noted in system events.
-unchecking autoshutdown in winXP does not have any effect.
-happens same in both topping mode and charging mode.

So i thought it is overheating or some driver problem.

However today:

-shuts down even only on battery power
-shutsdown before windows, when left idle in bios
-sometimes shuts down without starting the fan and before the fan is started, when computer is "cold" and when (imo) processor temperature is not exceeded.

My questions ( and opinions, please correct me if i am wrong):

I imagine there must be a temperature sensor to signal the MB when CPU is hot, could this be caused by a bad contact, open wire and therefore a false signal?

IF it is really overheat, is it possible that the characteristics of the whole system (by this i mean CPU, cooling..) degrade to this level in just 4 days, and that therefore MB or CPU is faulty?

Btw i opened a few "panels" below, seems clear of dust, ventilator is fine everything seems to be in place.
I still have teh warranty ofc, but the closest Asus Service is shop is 4 countries away from mine. So, is there anything i can do to pinpoint what the problem is (or overcome it, with ot without voiding the warranty) or i must buy the ticket and fly 3 hrs?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Yes- overheat could be an issue, but generally doesn't manifest itself unless the system is under load (i.e. running a game or CPU intensive program).

You might also have a faulty battery or battery contacts. You could check it with a volt meter or go somewhere that's in the business- they may let you try a good one.

Doing this and cleaning the airways and heatsink to your CPU/GPU are basically the easy things you can do. If it's still under warranty- I wouldn't mess with much anything more involved.

Document what you've done so when you do contact the manufacturer (ASUS) you can expedite tech support or RMA process.