Broken Seagate External Hardrive

hustler07hustler07 USA Member
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix an External hardrive?

I dropped my new 500 gig FreeAgent Seagate External hardrive. It worked until I unplugged it, now when it turns on it buzzes and clicks for a while then it just hums. Now it won't connect to my computer.

I've never had to repair anything like this and if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Jon

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The hard drive has been physically damaged. Short of professional data recovery, there is nothing you can do. The buzzing and clicking noise is indicative of the armature touching the platter which is disastrous for a hard drive.
  • hustler07hustler07 USA Member
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the reply, I guess it could be worse.
  • hustler07hustler07 USA Member
    edited November 2007
    Hey, quick question. Do you have any suggestions on where to go to get it fixed or at least get the content off the drive? I live in the SF bay area, so there should be lots of places. Thanks again.

Jon
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    HDD recovery costs usually start around $500 (if they can recover it with a simple software trick) to several 1000 dollars and they don't guarantee anything.

I would suggest see if you can remove the HDD from of the external case and connecting it directly to your computer. You may luck out and get some data off of it without it having to rely on the USB interface.