New system boots very slowly

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Greetings all.

I just completed my system upgrade last night installing the following components:

- ASUS P5B INTEL 965 CHIPSET.
- INTEL SOCKET 775 CORE 2 DUO E4500 2.2G (800Mhz).
- 2GB DDR2 667 (1GB x 2).
- MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP.
- Antec-TruePower Trio 430 ATX CPU Power Supply-Tp3-430.

I retained my old optical drives (1 CR-RW and 1 DVD-CD RW) and my old hard drive (SATA, sorry I don't remember specs at the moment), a 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card and a 10/100 ethernet PCI card.

I installed the components into the case, connected all the cables, and connected a keyboard via a PS/2 connector, USB mouse. and a USB hub.

Upon powering up I got the splash screen they use for the boot up. From there my problem began.

The entire process proceeds very slowly. Pressing delete for bringing up the BIOS eventually works but everything seems to be moving in slow motion. When the BIOS configuration does come up, each keystroke takes a long time to process.

I should also mention that at 1 random reboot, the system booted at normal speed made it into Windows (XP Pro) and proceeded to attempt to install whatever dirvers it need and could find. Alas rebooting out of that returned to the very sluggish startup again.

I will try some things tonight when I get home such as removing whatever I can (DIMMS, PCI cards etc.), resetting BIOS, et al.

However, I if anyone can provide me with anything more concrete as to the cause of this problem I would greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Did you just stick the same hard drive in your new system, without doing a repair install on Windows? I mean to say: Did you reinstall or repair Windows or just change hardware and try booting again?
  • edited November 2007
    Hi and thank you for the quick reply!

I simply transplanted the drive with any repair install.

However, I should point out that the symptoms I described occur before it ever gets to the the windows boot process. The BIOS boot process itself crawls along before it even attempts to boot windows so I'm not sure that windows is playing any part in this issue as of yet. When it boot into windows the one time it worked perfectly asking about activation didn't show any sign of anything being in error.