Need Help Pinpoiting Strange Monitor Problems

edited November 2007 in Hardware
I've been using a COMPAQ Presario Laptop for about a year and a half right now and just two days ago I've been experienncing some monitor related problems.

1. At random times the monitor's brightness will change. Happens about once an hour.

2. (most importantly) The bottom red corner of the screen has now taken a deep red hue.

What makes both of these incidents so confusing is that they only occure when the laptop is plugged in with an AC adapter. Normally after start up it takes about fifteen minutes for the red tint in the corner to show. However, if I run the laptop off it's batter then neither of these problems show up.

I've already accepted the fact that I might have to replace the monitor but is that all that's needed? Monitor's are quiet pricy so I want to make sure I know the answer before I do anything serious.

Thnk you for your time.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Hook up an external monitor to check if it's the video circuit.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    If it runs ok on battery I'd try it with another mains adapter first.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Is this the built in screen?
    I suspect local over heating. Try a different power adapter first, your may be going.
  • edited November 2007
    Thank you all for your responses, as suggested I already tried using an external monitor and and the red tint was gone meaning that the problem is not in the video card.

I have yet to try another AC adaptor on account I'm not sure about using other adaptors that are not specificly made for my computer. I know my current adator is 135W does that mean as long as I use one that matches that number then I'll be ok?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    As long as it is the same voltage and amperage, yes.

There will be a logo that looks like this on the label on your adapter
    _____

And next to it, it'll say something like 19v @ ##a. Find an adapter that matches.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Though the problem could be the internal charging controller in your lappy.
    You can use an adapter that has a higher W rating, as long as the output voltage matches and the output Amps are equal or higher.
  • edited November 2007
    Two days ago I solved the problem. When looking at the prong of my adapter I noticed it was slightly pried open in the bottom so I just pinched the two ends together and presto the red screen was gone.

For about 48 hours things ran fine until my laptop went black as it would normally when left idle but when I tried to turn it one the screen is completely black! Did I just unintentionally fry my screen with my low-tech solution?