Not assigning a drive letter to a hard drive.

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I am working on my fiance's mom's computer and I am trying to fix her primary hard drive that continuously reboots due to Norton GoBack. I put another drive in with only WinXP installed and nothing else to be able to get to the first drive as a slave. When I put the first drive in as a slave (and jumpered correctly) the computer recognises the drive under bios and disk management, but doesn't assign it a drive letter, so the files are not accessable as you cannot navigate to them in command prompt or through windows. Any idea how to get Windows to assign it a drive letter? Under Disk Management the option to assign/change the drive letter is grayed out and not selectable.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Hit initialize disk.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    ? Initialize disk isn't even an option. The only option out of the ones there that isn't grayed out is delete partition.
    edited November 2007
    The major issue is that she cannot do anything with her old drive because Norton GoBack says the disk has an error and they need to reboot. I am trying to get to the disk to remove this program to be able to get into the drive. I cannot even get into Safe Mode before GoBack reboots the computer. Any help on this issue would be helpful too.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    From the other issues you also described yesterday, it sounds like there's more going on than just that. Is SMART enabled in the BIOS? I'm interested to see if it would call out that drive for impending failure.
    edited November 2007
    I found out that the problem was totally with Norton GoBack. I removed that program and it works fine...