Graphics issues!! GeForce 6200 256MB AGP

edited December 2007 in Hardware
Here's the story: I rebuilt the PC, New XP SP2 load, and "upgraded" to a new HIS Radeon 9550 256MB AGP, from the older/smaller radeon 128MB card.. had issues with running C&C 3 Tibrium <(spell?)Wars. It wouldn't start, gave error that directx wasn't installed and it was. dxdiag showed issue with Direct3D. FYI..Directx 9.0c is loaded. Couldn't resolve that so I bought the XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP card. Now have different issue... Game fires up fine but screen shows spikey graphics. Have tried adjusting hardware acceleration.. no joy. I've updated all the mobo drivers, again no joy. I'm at a loss now. Mobo is a jetway kt400adbl with via chipset and a AMD 2400+. Chipset drivers is what I updated. System is running over 1GB ram. All win updates loaded. Funy thing is the older radeon card had 128MB and worked with this game before I reloaded the PC and moved up to the bigger cards. So neither of the 256MB cards work with their latest drivers. I'm Puzzled. Any ideas out there? :confused:

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Did you try reinstalling DirectX originally?
  • edited November 2007
    Yes I did, several times.
    edited November 2007
    Can you post a screenshot of what you describe as "spikey" graphics?
  • edited November 2007
    Sure thing... I'm at work right now but get off in one hr. Will post it asap afterwards. Thanks.
  • edited November 2007
    OK here are some images... First you will see a screen saver as it supposed to be and then as it is on the system having issues. It is a saver that requires 3d capibility. Then the other is the Tutorial screenshot from C&C Tiberium Wars. You can see what I mean when I say "spikey". Audio and menus are fine as you can see. I feel it's related to something on the mobo and not the game due to the screensaver having the same type issue.
    edited November 2007
    Good example screenshots. You're right, it does look like there are specifically 3D acceleration issues.

At the moment, I'm at a loss for this one because it really seems like you've covered all of the bases on the software side of things. Did you buy it at a local store that will allow exchange? It is entirely possible that there is a hardware issue with the GPU itself.
  • edited November 2007
    Got both from www.tigerdirect.com Strange, two different brand cards would have simular 3d type problems. Seems to point to something other than gpu. The HIS Radeon 9550 card wouldn't even start the game..it'd error out with the error I meantioned above. Plus the 3d screensaver wouldn't start, it'd say no 3d drivers available. C&C tech support had me updating the VIA chipset drivers but that didn't touch the issue, so that's when I went to a totally different brand of card. Well, if you think of something later on, feel free to email me or repost back here. Many thanks, GHoosdum, for trying!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Vertex mismatch assignment. Failure to address all verticies to bones in primary render.

The problem is primarily caused by the accelerator not receiving ANY "dodraw to" functions. That means that the bones or anchors for the 3d images aren't receiving the bind for the triangles. This can happen card to card, depending on the current supplied (Card may not be getting enough juice) or just on a bad environment such as too much heat, or under 10% or over 95% humidity for any long period of time.

The best fix is to test the cards on another motherboard in a controlled environment. If it carries, then the GPU was not traced properly, or you cooked the card on that board. My x1900 does it because it's been slightly heat damaged, but only does it in the presence of NON-LAYERED NON-BACKFACED vertecies and does it in a very controlled, almost non-noticeable manner. Like in HL2 on the road parts where you gotta kick the cars over the edge with the grav gun, The open side of the crushed blue car wobbles a bit, but since it's attached to other verticies that ARE bound, they don't go spaztastic, and the midde 203-291 of the glove for the grav gun also jiggle a bit.
  • edited December 2007
    Thanks, I will try both cards on another machine. Sure does seem like it might be a psu or mobo. Strange that the smaller vid card worked fine, then when I was taking the machine down to simply replace the card with a newer/bigger one, I accidently hit the power button, unit started to come on, I pulled the plug and finished the install. That, pulling the plug was a hugh mistake, it trashed the os and I got to rebuild from start. That's when all the issues started with the video card. You know, I could try to old/smaller card as a test too. Thanks again for the tips. Sure helps to have input from others.