UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME - URGENT!

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hi folks, first post and a little urgent. Need this for tomorrow. oh, how are you all. I have chosen here because you came up TOP on a google for a similar problem. Straight_Man seems to know if he is on tonight. I have a PC with the titled problem ie, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME I understand this may be cable problem, I have 1 x HD (fairly old) and DVD ROM (again fairly old) I have tried the 40 pin cable and got the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error. So I went to microsoft for an answer and the standard reply page said it would be either the wrong pin cable or the force the faster UDMA mode in BIOS. I have tried both cables but cannot find the 'force the faster UDMA mode' in the BIOS. Could someone please advise this NOOB how to resolve this please as I have to give this PC to someone tomorrow!!! kindest regards Phil

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    If your bios is detecting your drive then it's likely not a cabling issue. UDMA isn't supported in all bios's and on older drives so you may not have that option.

I would suggest booting off of a windows cd and going into repair console and doing these commands. That is assuming that your repair disk even recognizes that you have a c: drive.

fixmbr
    chkdsk /f
  • edited November 2007
    [a worried look comes to face] Only joking, this is a hobby and I donate the proceedings to people in need of a computer and on low incomes hence the low end gear, half the time I do not have system disks for them but I'm constantly scouring boot sales for new equipment and software. I have come to the same conclusion with the cables, I think I have solved it by formating from a healthy PC then transferred back to the carcas PC. seems ok for now.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    I hope you realize that be donating a computer with a Windows OS installed on it, but not providing the installation disk or a re-installation disk of some sort is illegal, charity or not. Granted I can't see anyone caring that you are giving them to. I'm just saying is all.