I need help from graphic cards experts.

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hello guys.

i am going to buy a graphics card, i live in lebanon so the prices are different and higher from like the USA and other places. Anyway first i chose to get the EVGA 8600GT 256MB DDR3 at 181 $ and i was very convinced in buying it. But then i saw the ASUS 8600GT 512MB DDR3 at 230$ and i have ordered it now and i'm going to get it tomorrow. but now i'm not very convinced about it and i have some doubts, i couldn't find many reviews about it and some where saying that i won't actually be needing the 512MB since the card is 128-bit so the extra money i'm paying is kinda wasted.

What should i do guys? which one should i choose? or should i choose an another card in the same price range?

thanks for the help.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I removed the unnecessary links from your post. It seemed very suspiciously spammy.

also, you say you are in Lebanon, but you have an Italian email address and your IP is from Washington DC.

So, forgive me if I'm being overly cautious.
  • edited November 2007
    i'm sorry for putting the links
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Regardless of the interface (128-bit) the 512MB will improve gaming performance at higher resolution.

You may get higher framerates from a 256MB card, with a 256-bit interface, but once you get above a certain resolution, more textures will have to be stored in the PC's ram instead of the Graphics ram.

Both cards have a 128-bit interface anyway, so more ram will still help at higher resolutions. You did fine, IMO.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    Well I have to admit, I have the same model : 8600GT 512MB, and it's a very capable graphics card for gaming with - It evidently isn't as good as the 8800GT(S), but still does the job for the DX9 range of games currently available, and future proofed for DX10 games coming soon. A "jack of all trades and master of none" so to speak :smiles: Your purchase wasn't bad in that respect, as you seem to be on a budget. I might have considered an ATi 3850 or 3870, though they are still freshly released, and maybe not available to you (they are in the same price bracket). Did you choose a Nvidia for a particular reason? Hope this is of some help :smiles:

Included some links :
    http://ati.amd.com/uk/products/radeonhd3800/index.html
    (I'd give you some links to retailers but I'm not sure where you buy from :rolleyes2)
  • edited November 2007
    Yes thanks a lot! i'm glad to know from someone that it's a good card because i was afraid it was going to be a waste of money, i know ASUS are usually good but i thought maybe i paid extra money for nothing because someone said that it's not good with Dx9 games and it's a bit sluggish. Um and i chose the Nvidia because i'm an nvidia fan i suppose :)

thanks for your answer