Help overclocking amd x2 3600 brisbane

doomddoomd California
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hello i need some help overclocking im new to this with cpu and ram can you help meh? ill give my comp specs

Computer
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Business
Motherboard
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200) 3600+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 520, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (04/04/07)
Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    Could you provide us with some more information on your system?

What motherboard/ram are you using? (brand/model). I'm assuming this is a custom system, not a Dell/HP etc?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited November 2007
    yes it is a custom my motherboard is a ABIT AN52 nForce 520
    edited November 2007
    Cool, you should be able to overclock with that AN52. I wrote an A64 overclocking guide a year or so ago. Its not updated for AM2, but I'd suggest you start there for some information:

http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_cpu_clock

Keep in mind that the memory information will all be DDR and not DDR2 relevant, so just follow the CPU overclocking section.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    The memory part will be basically the same, just different timings. Some different options but the same concepts still apply.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited November 2007
    i am realy confused about this do i need to overclock my memory as in ram too?
    edited November 2007
    It is definitely not a requirement to overclock your ram. Because the reference frequency (what you increase to overclock) is tied to your memory speed, it is overclocked along with your processor. The same thing goes for the bus frequency (also known as the HTT). You can set 'memory dividers' in the BIOS to prevent this overclocking of the RAM. I know the guide is pretty in-depth, but if you go through the 'A64 Mathematics' section, it is all explained.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited November 2007
    ok now i finaly got it too work but it is super strange i added a little voltage about .25 and then i added 10 or so to the fsb. i exited bios and nothing came up BUT when i turned off my computer and started it up again it was normal and i get this weird screen that says please re-reseett the clock cpu speed or somthing but i continued i dont think should be putting voltage yet should i
    edited November 2007
    Its definitely not necessary to increase voltage yet at this point. You meant 0.025V right? 0.25V is a huge increase :)

I'm not sure why you are getting that message upon bootup. It must be some kind of feature abit has. Have you run CPU-Z to see what your CPU's clock speed is?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited November 2007
    yes i did and i gained 5%! on overclocking but for some strange reasons its not letting me get any further if i try to put the fsb a little higher its still the same mhz like if i put fsb to 221 * 9.5 = 2100 but it stays around 2005mhz
  • doomddoomd California
    edited November 2007
    ok what i found out that i cannot get any higher than 210 for my fsb if i get higher it just stays the same i tried to lower my multiplier but no luck