how to i find RAM specs ..just bought new laptop

edited December 2007 in Hardware
i bought an HP laptop and need to upgrade the RAM ..it doesnt say the speed of the RAM on the box..how do i look it up from the actual laptop? all i know is it has 1 GB of DDR 2 ..thanks

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    go to http://www.cpuid.com/ and download CPU-Z. The "memory" and "SPD" tabs should tell you everything you need to know. Let us know if you have any other questions.
  • edited November 2007
    Micron Technology pc2 5300 333mhz ..thats a kool program.. unfortunately the 1 GB of RAM is split into two separate chips..so if i buy a 2 GB individual chip i will only get 2.5 Gigs instead of 3..... o well...but i want to upgrade asap!

i checked out newegg.com and i cant figure out what im supposed to get...i see pc2 5300 on there but its all 667mhz..cant find 333..am i misunderstanding something?

the laptop has AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core TK-55 processor and 1 gb of ram expandable to 4gb..

thanks
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    For what it's worth there is little benefit to going beyond 2 gigs in most cases and going beyond 3 gigs in Windows is pointless unless you are running vista 64bit or some form of Windows Server.
  • edited November 2007
    thanks for heads up on amount of RAM..but i still want to upgrade the RAM past 1 GB..so what is the diff. between the 333 mhz i have on my laptop and the 667 i find on newegg?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    DDR SDRAM transfers data at the rising AND falling edge of each clock cycle effectively doubling it's transfer rates. DDR2 667 is technically running at an external frequency of ~333MHz but since it can make two data transfers per clock cycle, it is capable of ~667 million data transfers per second (667MHz)

The short is, a PC5300 DDR667 SODIMM should work in your laptop.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Go to Crucial.com and you can specify your system specs IE brand of computer and it will give you compatable parts. Crucial is owned by Micron and I also work for Micron. You sir have some good RAM. :)
  • edited December 2007
    lol..thanks mmonnin...i hope it has a good resale value on ebay then!!

is it true that when adding RAM to a computer; if there are two slots for RAM and i want to upgrade, both slots need to have matching amounts of RAM speed? that would blow a hole in my idea to buy a 2gb stick of RAM and put it next to one of the 512mb sticks...thanks
    edited December 2007
    In some computers both slots have to be filled with the same amount of ram. However that is not the case on your laptop going 2 and 512 is fine.
  • edited December 2007
    thanks kryyst!! thats good news... if you dont mind..can you explain how in my laptop thats not the case?
    edited December 2007
    flashme18 wrote:
    thanks kryyst!! thats good news... if you dont mind..can you explain how in my laptop thats not the case?

Not much to explain. Some motherboards, for desktop PC's have their ram dual banked because of the way the motherboard accesses it. It's dual channeled. This is most common on the nForce motherboards. Usually there was 2 dual banks of ram (4 sticks in total) so banks 1,3 and 2,4 were parred up. You had to have matching sticks in each bank because they were both accessed at the same time.

They just don't do that on laptops. Your 1st bank of ram will be addressed first (so put your 2 gig chip there) then your second bank.