DVD-Rom problem?

edited November 2007 in Hardware
My DVD-Rom drive is terribly noisy, each time i insert a DVD it sounds like an old car, like if it were someway broken. It still reads DVDs but it may be damaging the CDs. Is this a real hardware problem or I just have an annoyingly noisy DVD-rom, it doesnt sound like a typical DVD-rom being used.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    I've got one that sounds like it belongs in a Japanese car it's so loud. Spins discs so fast that if they're dirty the dirt's in a ring near the edge of the disk.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    If it's all disks, it's the drive, if it's some disks it's the disks. If it's the drive it could be just a very loud drive. Usually that's because it's slightly out of alignment (not visible to the eye) and it's causing the disk to spin off true and at those speeds even slightly off can be come loud. Check to make sure that the drive is mounted securely in your case, because if it's got any play that can make it sound worse. Also check to make sure the drive tray slides in and out cleanly if it's got any hiccups it could be that it's not rolling all the way into place.

But at the end of the day if everything checks out, it could just be a noise ass drive. If you've still got warranty you should be able to return it as they aren't supposed to be.