Book Cover Design

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Internet & Media
This is a piece I finished just last night for a book cover design contest here on campus. Here are the guide-lines:
The work is a high-resolution collage suitable for reproduction. It is
intended as cover art for a book describing how financial markets have
shaped American society in the past two decades, conveying the notion
that various aspects of life have been turned into species of ‘capital,’ analogous to investments in the stock market (e.g., education and talent become ‘human capital,’friendsand family become ’social capital’).

An initial concept is to have stock images of people, houses, schools/degrees, artistic output, and so on, in a ‘landscape’ with an electronic ticker tape running across each of them; however, the final design may vary from this.

Outline-1.jpg

Here was my justification for the work:
I used the ticker tape first and foremost as a landscape for the other objects to rest on, allowing it to twist and turn over itself appropriately. The landscape is also not horizontal, but rather tapers towards the top, creating a hierarchy for the image as well. This hierarchy came to mind when you addressed 'species of capital.' In a sense, the cutouts are broken into a sort of genus: The trees represent the environmental aspect, the pillars for government, the peaked box for home, the steepled house for education (Like an old style school house), the single person for individuality in the economy, and the two shaking hands for partnership.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    well done.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Looks awesome. :respect:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Agreed. That's swank.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Thanks.

It's weird I've really been stuck in this sort of studio-setup design phase and I can't get my head outside of it, but it's been working well for me creatively. This came out almost exactly like my initial impression in my mind, with very little alteration.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The only minor gripe I would bring up is that the school could be misconstrued as a church, which might bring up some comfort issues with certain people.

Other than that, very well executed.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Do you know what font is gonna be used and/or where it's gonna be located?

-Edit-
    The only minor gripe I would bring up is that the school could be misconstrued as a church
    Heh. I was actually gonna suggest a church.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Or the trees could be misconstrued as analogies for giant boners. :|
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    It's okay, at least it's not a Teddy Bear. :rolleyes2

Great work, continually impressed by your skill.
    edited November 2007
    The only minor gripe I would bring up is that the school could be misconstrued as a church, which might bring up some comfort issues with certain people.

Other than that, very well executed.

Yeah, I had a lot of difficult with that. After I made it that's immediately what I feared. I said also in the e-mail that things can be adjusted in the final image and that is one of the things I would try to remake (I was on a time crunch with this, the deadline was last night at 12:00) with some more clarity. Still trying to figure that out.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Replace it with a <strike>walkie-talkie</strike> sky scraper.
    edited December 2007
    Thought I'd mention, I found out today I won the competition and will transfer this to the final cover design, I will post a finished design when it is ready.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Oustanding Nomad !! :D

Congrats :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    "woot"
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2007
    Well done Nomad - awesome :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2007