8800gts running hot as hell.

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I just got a 8800gts a few days ago and decided to take the heatsink off and put some AS5 on the gpu and silicon thermal grease on all the memory volt regulator and shader to lower my temps to maybe sqeeze a little more out of the gpu but, when i put everything back on it runs like 60* idle and 85-90 under full load. I keep my room cold 55-60* and my cpu runs about 26 idle. I put the AS on very thing and spread it out perfectly with a razor blade. I dont know why temps are so high. Im thinking the stock heatsink isnt perfect and i should put on more thermal paste or something:confused:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Thin layer of thermal paste + imperfect HSF = air pockets?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    I'm guessing that the heatsink allows for a small gap that the stock thermal pads/material fill. Give more TIM a try, might do the trick. How is the contact when you take the HSF off?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I have the same card. From everything I've read the entire 8000 series cards do run hot but they are made to be able to handle these temps. Before you put the AS5 on what were the temps? Did they go down after putting it on?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Those are pretty common temps.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    jj6400 wrote:
    I have the same card. From everything I've read the entire 8000 series cards do run hot but they are made to be able to handle these temps. Before you put the AS5 on what were the temps? Did they go down after putting it on?
    Dunno, never ran it with the stock junk but, when i took the heatsink off originally the TIM was terribly applied. There where air pockets and it was uneven. However, i took off the heat sink and from the picture you can see how much contact i was getting. i put about double that on and a rice size bead in the middle. temps dropped 10 to the gpu and system and cpu dropped 3-4. So i expect them to drop a little more after the thermal paste burns in so it was successful. Thanks everyone.