PC Won't Boot up

edited December 2007 in Hardware
3 days ago I spent neally £2500 on a Quad Core 6850 PC with 2 Nvidai 8800 Ultras and 8 GB Ram. The case is anAntec P190 with 2 power supplies. The computer worked fine for 3 days but won't now power up.

I used to switch on the one power supply so the top 2 fans would come on. Then when I switch the 2nd supply on, the fans would stop, I would power on the pc at the front, the fans come back on, then the pc boots up.

Now, the top 2 fans come on as usual but when I switch on the 2nd power supply, the fans stop (as per usual), the mothrboard light come on, but I can't boot up the PC.

The only thing I can think of that I did different is that I plugged both supplies into a Surge Protector. I unfortunayely noticed after that the maximum load on the surge protector was 13 amps, both power supplies are 13 amps each.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Can you boot with a single PSU and a single video card configuration?

Also, is the connection between the P190's power supplies attached properly? This is what causes the power supplies to power up together.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    From the sound of things your PSUs are fine as the fans work and the power LED on the MB comes on. I dont think your surge protector is the problem either for the same reason. (Plus it would be easy to test by simply removing the surge protector) My guess is the MB or the power switch. Try finding the jumpers which the power switch on the front connect to and make sure it is connected properly. If it is try removing it and shorting the jumper with either a screw driver or a paper clip. If it boots up you have a faulty switch. If it still doesn't boot I would say it is a problem with your MB.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I would suggest going down to minimum (1psu, 1gfx, 1 sick of ram, 1hdd) and making sure your not dealing with failure of a crucial piece of hardware. Then, work backwards and add components back in.

Whats this switching on PSU's at different times? you should be connecting the two with a atx power supply header,as CB said, like in the picture.

dual-psu-atx-connector.jpg