no motherboard led[light] but cpu fan spins for 3secs

edited December 2007 in Hardware
when i switch on the power of my pc there is no motherboard light but the fans in the psu n the cpu spin for 3secs n stop n then start again n continue in this cycle.my pc was working fine until today.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    Is there another PSU you could try? If not, it doesn't hurt to get another one- if just to be a spare.

And welcome to Icrontic :) .
  • edited December 2007
    got a new PSU but no difference...
    edited December 2007
    Three things come to my mind then-

1. BIOS is corrupted (common with overclockers). Clear your CMOS. Your motherboard manual should explain how.
    2. The Reset- maybe power button is stuck or defective. Try removing the reset line and see if there is a change. Does this start to happen right after you turn on your power supply switch?
    3. Mobo has gone south- might still be under warranty? If so, contact their tech support.

Others may have input and I'll post if you have no joy here and I think of something else.
  • edited December 2007
    i tried resetting the bios by removing the battery for more than 1 hour and it didnt work.
    i even tried the cmos reset jumper which didnt work either.
    the reset and power buttons seem fine
  • edited December 2007
    btw this all started when i tried playing timeshift trial in vista it gave a message about saving memory dump and then it just froze so i pushed the reset button and when the pc started i got the dual bios screen saying it failed to copy the bios and it just shut off and after that this cycle of restarting started.
    i dont understand why the motherboard led doesnt light up.
    edited December 2007
    shinnizle wrote:
    .... i dont understand why the motherboard led doesnt light up.
    Qeldroma wrote:
    3. Mobo has gone south- might still be under warranty? If so, contact their tech support.

Someone else may have another idea- but this is what I'm thinking.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    You might try pulling one stick of your memory.
    But power to fan and no light sounds like a dead mobo.