Dual Channel DDR2

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Am I right in thinking, that in a motherboard with two sets of two slots, in each set there is a black and a yellow coloured slots, that to run Dual Channel they need to be in the same colour slot? Not the same set of two? If that makes any sense :P

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    Usually both dims go in the same colour. Read you user manual to be sure!
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Everyone knows the manual is the last resort! But the manual was a bit contradictory, it said that the groups were A1 and A2, then B1 and B2, but the colours don't make sense. And CPU-ID says they're in single channel. So shall I try one memory module in each yellow slot?
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited December 2007
    I would think so
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    What MB model is it.

You should probably have them plugged into A1 and A2. Couldnt tell you if they are yellow or black. As far as motherboards go the manual should be your first point of call or at least a refference diagram.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    I have had a look at the manual for the board listed in your profile and I think the following is the case.

Channel A has one black and one yellow and channel B also has one black and one yellow. The manual states that for your memory to work in dual channel you have to have the same amount of memory in each chanel. This would suggest that you could, in theory, have a 1GB stick in A1 and a 512MB in B1 and a 512MB in B2 and it would work however im assuming you have two of the same size so your asumption that you should have both in the yellow slots is correct. Slots should be labelled A1 and B1 not A1 and A2 as per my previous post.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    From Left To Right:

A1/A2/B1/B2.

A1/B1 filled will give dual channel
    A2/B2 filled will give dual channel
    ALL filled will give dual channel

Match the colors.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, I filled A1 and A2 before and I had single channel, I moved them around last night and put a 1GB Chip in A1 an B1 and it's now running in Dual Channel.