PC wouldn't Boot

edited December 2007 in Hardware
I did almost everything to boot my pc except from pulling out the cpu to put another one in. Does that mean the cpu is broken? Is it possible to go into the motherboard's bios without a working cpu?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    No, the bios is just the basic input output system. Starts everything, you need a chip to boot into the bios.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited December 2007
    Do you get any signs of life at all from the board? Beeps, fans spin up, anything?
  • edited December 2007
    Nebulous wrote:
    Do you get any signs of life at all from the board? Beeps, fans spin up, anything?

Only the motherboard light is on.
  • edited December 2007
    I changed out the cpu, ram, and power supply. What else could prevent the computer from booting?
    edited December 2007
    The bios on the board....
  • edited December 2007
    I reseted the cmos already, the problem is the computer doesn't even power up.
    edited December 2007
    It's time for everyone's favorite show...Amish Education Corner!!!! (Cue Applause)

CMOS : Short for complementary metal oxide semiconductor. CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor. CMOS semiconductors use both NMOS (negative polarity) and PMOS (positive polarity) circuits. Since only one of the circuit types is on at any given time, CMOS chips require less power than chips using just one type of transistor. This makes them particularly attractive for use in battery-powered devices, such as portable computers. Personal computers also contain a small amount of battery-powered CMOS memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters.

BIOS : Acronym for basic input/output system, the built-in software that determines what a computer can do without accessing programs from a disk. On PCs, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscellaneous functions.

Education complete. What we learned; 1: Cmos is a type of solid-state memory that requires a current to retain data unlike Nandflash. 2: Bios is the guts of a computer, as it makes it all work, or not work.

If the CMOS data is bad; the bios forces a rebuild of the DMI pool (CMOS data.) If it's too bad, you have to clear it yourself which you did. If it didn't solve anything and you can check all of the hardware in another computer and it all works...Then your board is the culprit. Chances are if you have a hat flasher (For the 8x4 bioses only, 16x2's can usually be pulled to program) having your bios reflashed to it JUST may fix your problem. Corrupt bios data can cause serious damage. Trust me, I made something a few years ago that took advantage of the address flaws in 98 to read and write to the bios if it was unlocked.

If it's the bios, most times the machine will turn on and act like it's going to work, but actually perform nothing. If it's the board damaged, I can't clearly say what it will do, since all I know is that if the board doesn't work, the computer doesn't work.