Help comparing two boards

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I'm currently in the market for a new motherboard based on p35 so I can run 4GB of RAM with a 500MHz FSB. I have narrowed my search to two models:

DFI LanParty DK P35-T2R
DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R

For the life of me I cannot identify the difference between the two aside from the color scheme, and I'm trying to identify what the "/S" means ("T2R/S") on their models.

Anyone have any side-by-sides?

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The only info I have been able to find so far is that the DK seems to be an entry level system and the UT seems top be geared towards more established overclockers.

DFI NEWS* One more member from P35 family, LANParty DK P35-T2R/s,an entry level monster for overclocking !!

NinjaLane* We must say overclocking on the LANParty UT P35 is not only extremely easy but the results really speak for themselves. The amazing thing with this overclock is the Sandra Memory scores that almost hit 8000MB/s!” this is just state out the OC performance of what this board can be...

There also seems to be a heck of a lot of reviews and links for the UT as opposed to the DK.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2007
    UT
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=5497&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US
    # 3 PCI Express x16 slots (PCIE1 at x16, PCIE3 at x4 or x1 and PCIE4 at x1)
    # 1 PCI Express x1 slot
    # 3 PCI slots

DK
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=5718&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US
    # 1 PCI Express x16 slot
    # 2 PCI Express x1 slots
    # 3 PCI slots

That seems too obvious for you so maybe I'm looking at a different board.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    You're comparing the proper boards, but I'm specifically looking to see if there's any difference at the BIOS level. Can't find a damn thing about that.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    My experience with DFI has been that the UT series usually adds 3 things. Better chipset cooling, UV reactive plastics, and a more tweakable BIOS than the non-UT variety. My last DFI board was the LanParty UT CFX3200 which had an insane amount of tweakable options including 2 full pages of memory settings.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    You're comparing the proper boards, but I'm specifically looking to see if there's any difference at the BIOS level. Can't find a damn thing about that.
    ;) I will get the info you need.
    edited December 2007
    Thanks, Ryder. Let me know what the <i>real</i> differences are. I only need 1 PCIe slot, so I'm looking at technical elements:

Which one uses the ICH9R, solid Al capacitors, how does the cooling differ, how are the BIOS different?
    edited December 2007
    Only diff is black PCB and possibly a slight PWM change for CPU support.

Bios is the same, caps are the same, PCB is the same (traces, etc) just a different color.

They are the same board :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Hmm... it's good to have a guy 'in the know' hanging around here. ;)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Is it just me or does the UT have 2 additional SATA ports provided by the JMicron controller as well as what should be superior cooling for both SB & NB?
    edited December 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Only diff is black PCB and possibly a slight PWM change for CPU support.

Bios is the same, caps are the same, PCB is the same (traces, etc) just a different color.

They are the same board :)

I read somewhere that the DK series does not have VDROOP control. Can you confirm?

I've also read that there are three models for each type of board:

ICH9R + Al Caps
    ICH9 + High-quality jap caps
    ICH9 + lame caps

Confirm?
    edited December 2007
    ICH9... that is the southbridge controller with either raid or no raid.

ICH9 = no raid
    ICH9R = Raid.

ICH9 is Intel's newest southbridge chip...should have nothing to do with what Caps are on the board :confused:

I cannot confirm about the Vdroop, but my source at DFI says they just wanted to make a dark PCB board. They are the same board with the same bios. He did mention the PWM thing as a slight change, but other than that....nothing has changed.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I read somewhere that the DK series does not have VDROOP control. Can you confirm?

I've also read that there are three models for each type of board:

ICH9R + Al Caps
    ICH9 + High-quality jap caps
    ICH9 + lame caps

Confirm?

http://forum.overclockersonline.net/index.php?t=msg&th=17281&start=0&rid=101

This says what you're saying. Is this what you read or a secondary source confirming it?
    edited December 2007
    http://forum.overclockersonline.net/index.php?t=msg&th=17281&start=0&rid=101

This says what you're saying. Is this what you read or a secondary source confirming it?
    Ok, I see....so you just need to make sure you get the ICH9R, that has raid and the Al caps.

The DFI site says nothing about an ICH9 version, just lists ICH9R as the southbridge.
    edited December 2007
    Yes, Buddy linked to what I am referring to. If there really are 3 versions floating around, I want to make sure I get solid caps. It sounds like BS, especially since there aren't three versions on their site.

Now I just need to find a place that sells the DK, because the UT looks like ass.
  • edited December 2007
    When you find one....tell me sir....
    edited December 2007
    They're not available yet. I spent 5 hours today scouring the internet for one.
  • edited December 2007
    Find any ETA on it or price?
    edited December 2007
    ETA, no.
    Price, close to $200.
  • edited December 2007
    Thanks a lot. Hopefully it will be out by Q1 '08....