Vista won't recognize keyboard

edited December 2007 in Hardware
I just upgraded my hardware and now Vista won't recognize my USB keyboard. Prior to this upgrade, I had no problems using my keyboard in DOS or Vista, but now with an Intel Core2 Duo and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, DOS recognizes my keyboard, but not Vista. I'm assuming it's because the USB drivers aren't uploaded, but without use of my USB mouse or USB keyboard, I can't load them. Do I have to go buy a PS2 mouse/keyboard just to install the drivers? Is it even because of the drivers? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I'd have thought it was drivers, yes. Although perhaps you could borrow a keyboard/mouse from a friend to save you buying them?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Go into the bios USB options and enable legacy USB if you can find it there :)
  • edited December 2007
    Go into the bios USB options and enable legacy USB if you can find it there :)

I did that, and it only allowed me to use it in DOS. I got a PS2 keyboard and mouse and they work when I get into Vista so I'm guessing it's a driver thing, if I load the drivers (if the disk even came with any) and it still doesn't work I'll get back on here and try for some help again.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    If you go to your keyboard/mouse's manufactuer's website there should be drivers to download.
  • edited December 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    If you go to your keyboard/mouse's manufactuer's website there should be drivers to download.

I'm installing the drivers right now and there is no USB driver on the list of drivers so I will do that next and see if I can find one there.

Something else that doesn't make sense is that it is telling me it can't find a ton of drivers for things like my video card and other periphreals. I installed these drivers onto my hard drive long ago. Why would changing the motherboard and CPU call for all new drivers? Any other time I've gotten a new mobo it just needed drivers for USB, sound, LAN... motherboard related things.
  • edited December 2007
    I got a message from Vista as it tried to install the drivers itself for the USB. I wish I could write it word for word but it said someting along the lines of it encounterd an error and couldn't install the drivers because there is something missing with the INF file or it was written for Windows 95 or later.

???
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    Are you using 64 bit Vista or 32? if you are using 64 then goodluck to you. All drivers have to be Microsoft certified and in all probability most of your MB drivers aren't.
  • edited December 2007
    RichD wrote:
    Are you using 64 bit Vista or 32? if you are using 64 then goodluck to you. All drivers have to be Microsoft certified and in all probability most of your MB drivers aren't.

No I'm running 32. Since I have had 3 different motherboards in this computer in the last week I figured there might just be too many different USB drivers on there so I restored a couple weeks back... and now even my PS2 keyboard and mouse don't work!! This is frustrating!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    I take it you haven't done a fresh install after you change the MB?
  • edited December 2007
    RichD wrote:
    I take it you haven't done a fresh install after you change the MB?

A fresh install of Windows? I just got a new HDD and am loading Vista right now. So we'll see if that fixes it. I don't see why not because the keyboard works in DOS, just not windows. Now I just wish there was some way around having to install Windows XP first and then using my Vista upgrade disk to install Vista Ultimate!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2007
    The DOS drivers will probably be different from the Windows ones.

If you havent done a fresh install or repair when changing your MB you quite often get problems. There are people here who will know better than me, but esentially your MB controls the flow of data between devices and if you dont have the drivers loaded before you put the new MB in you will find that "stuff doesnt work". I had a problem with SATA drives because the new MB had a different SATA controller to my old so my HD couldn't "comunicate" properly.
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    go find a keyboard out the back of a shop..you cant give em away,in fact they might even pay you ..jokeing