AB9 Pro Random Shutdown and Alarm with "CF" bios code

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I built this computer a year ago and it's worked (basically) flawlessly until the last month.

ABit AB9 Pro
Dual Core 2 2.2Ghz
OCZ PC2-6400
OCZ Powerstream 520W Powersupply
ASUS EN6200TC GeForce 6200TC 256M Graphics Card
Vista Ultimate
Plugged into APC-BR1200 (Battery Backup and Surge Protector)

I'm getting random shutdowns which are usually accompanied by an obnoxious alarm. The only thing I've got tweaked in the bios is voltage turned up from 1.9V to 2.1V on the memory as recommended by OCZ. To get the computer started again, I have to do a hard restart to turn it on, the LED on the motherboard shows code "CF" ("test CMOS R/W functionality") and then Windows acts like it was in sleep mode before it shutdown (which is suspicious b/c I do not have any type of sleep or hiberbnate or suspend options set). I've already tried resetting the CMOS (no avail).

This problem occurred for the first time about one month ago and then went away. Now I moved out of my old apartment and into a new one and since I moved I can't get my computer to stay on for more than 6 hours at a time (or so). One thing that's changed since I moved is the power cord I'm using to power my computer????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited December 2007
    okay i didn't want a reply anyway

fixed it myself (i hope)

apparently my computer somehow became set to flip to sleep mode after 20 minutes

I turned that off... problem hasn't repeated since then (fingers crossed)

I'm not sure how power management settings could have changed.. maybe a windows update... i like to blame microsoft b/c I can

thanks

happy belated bday Perry! Wow you know what I learned how to make when I was ten?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    uh-oh... Do I want to know :eek3::p
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited December 2007
    uh-oh... Do I want to know :eek3::p

nope
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    any probs that cant b answered ..www.extremeoverclocking.com ..they learnt me