f@h smp on multiple os??

TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Folding@Home
I've been running the smp client on my computer running vista. I recently got it set up as a service which was nice. The only problem is that sometimes I would like to be able to use XP instead of vista, for certain games that vista goes haywire with among other things. I was wondering is there a way to be able switch to XP and still continue with the smp work unit I have started under vista?

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I don't think you can jj. Hopefully someone may prove me wrong though.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    SMP... no. There is too much crap that is tied directly into the OS. The non-SMP could be configured to run on multiple OS's by setting up the F@H directory on a separate partition and have both OS's point to that directory.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Thought so but just wanted to ask. Thanks
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2007
    I believe, if you set your F@H dir to a common drive/directory both your XP and Vista OSs can access, it should pick up where the other left.

Give it a try and let us know. :)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I believe, if you set your F@H dir to a common drive/directory both your XP and Vista OSs can access, it should pick up where the other left.

Give it a try and let us know. :)

I believe I've tried this before and I think it loads a new work unit. If I get some time to mess with it I will.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I've done it with ghosted PC's... I placed the F@H directory on another partition and then set up the ghost image without the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup\Folding@home key set. The config file points to the same folder and after the first restart... It works. It starts up right where it left off before. But again, that's NOT the SMP.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    I would think that the administrative permissions required to run SMP would cornfoose and befuzzle the respective OS kernels- but odds are someone may have hacked their way through it, posted it on the FCF and lost it with the database crash.

At this point though, I would wonder why my game wasn't running on Vista. A lot of the games have a patch or work-around. I don't have many games, but each had something to get you going within the first few months of the release. You might run that down.