PC wont boot at all, not even in safe mode

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited January 2008 in Hardware
i was doing some spyware removal on a friends pc a little while ago

she had a really bad spyware/malware/virus problem, in fact, i dont think there was any peice of crapware that she didnt have

i didnt get to finish the process anyway, i only got to run spybot before i ran out of time. One thing i did do was get her service pack 2 and windows media player because she had been complaining that wmp hadnt worked in ages and so i wanted to get her up and running and playing music again

anyway all was well for a bit but now when we boot up her computer it gets as far as loading her desktop background then hangs

similar thing happens when we load into safe mode, the safe mode background comes up then the pc just hangs

we left it for a while to see if anything comes up but nothing did

what would you guys suggest is my next move?

also could anything i did have resulted in her pc being unbootable?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Repair install?
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    can you get into the BIOS? if you can, make sure that everything in there is fine.

If you cant get in there, try checking hardware for damage...i had a similiar problem before because I hadnt properly sat my CPU into the zip. It was causing the fans inside to go nuts, so check EVERYTHING and make sure its all fine and dandy.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2007
    cool

the pc hasnt been moved whatsoever so i dont think it will be a dislodged cpu but i will investigate if the repair install doesnt work

thanks alot guys

also, is it my fault for trying to sort her comp out that it went down the pan?

or can it be one of the millions of bugs she had getting angry at me for trying to remove it?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I blame the spyware, honestly.
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, if you cant fix it with prime and I's reccomendations, try partitioning your hdd, install windows on the partition, and see if it runs smoothly. If it dosent, try the hdd in another computer. Only thing i can think of is reformatting the entire hdd IF it is spyware.
    edited December 2007
    i know imma sound like a right donut but how am i gonna partition the pc if i cant get to desktop?

i usually just use partition magic!

pretty please dont tell me i have to do the unthinkable and enter dos commands :(
    edited December 2007
    good question O.O i didnt think about that. scratch that idea and try the hdd in a different computer and try a different hdd in the broken one, see if either work.
    edited December 2007
    im praying a repair install works

thanks though guys, i shall return to let you know what happens
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    You don't have to enter dos commands if it's XP. It has a little jimmy digger for it. NTFS slow if it hasn't had a journalized FS on it, if it has, NTFS fast works.
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited December 2007
    the bugs did ti..have you tried de-bugging mode .the old .last known. etc etc???
    edited January 2008
    strangely the computer started working again

slow as hell at first but i managed to get the anti spyware sweep done and stuff

used hjt and got rid of the bho's

there was also loads of .exe files with random names that i had to manually remove, apparently its a really common virus/spyware/malware type thing, i dont recall the name of it but im pretty sure its gone

was an absolute pain but im now back in my friends good books and i feel better for having beaten the pesky thing!

thanks alot for your help guys