I think i screwd up

shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I was messin with ubuntu and I thought i would install it for kicks well I found out how hard linux is to master and i decided to remove it. I just fixed the MBR and loaded windows and went to delete the partition it was on. when I went into disk management I noticed that when I installed it only gave windows 60 gb and gave ubuntu the rest of my 250 gig harddrive. While trying to merge the 2 partitions I somehow converted my disk to a dynamic disk. now im stuck with a 60 gb partition and a 190 gb partition and I want one 250 gb (i dont like partitions.) so now how do I do that? I tried partition magic it wouldnt do anything because of it being a dynamic and then I tried dskprobe and in that i cant select my physical drive nothing shows up. so im lost and I am finally hapy with how my windows is set up after fresh install.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Well, Go back into disk management, and convert the other partition to fat32, that should force it to be logical instead of dynamic. Then, delete the partition and use partition magic to merge them.

In theory that should work.
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited December 2007
    rihgt now the one drive C: thats 60 gb is the only thing that is dynamic the other drive Ive tried it as unallogated space and all kindas of stuff
    edited December 2007
    i just tried messing with it and I cant make it fat 32 under disk mangement or my computer
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    You won't be able to convert it to fat32 the drive size is to big windows will throw a fit. Now if your dynamic drives are setup right you have full access to the whole drive as it will use both of them - dynamically, kinda the point.

If you have a 2nd drive you could ghost your first one, format it then ghost it back and you will be good to go.
    edited December 2007
    the problem is that my 6o gb partition with the system is fat 32 (whole disk was before) and the 190 is ntfs
    edited December 2007
    Jesus man, you really did make a mess of things. Ok you can convert your fat32 partition to ntfs by running the command
    convert [name of volume] /FS:NTFS

Then you can ghost it to a second drive format your current drive and ghost it all back to one happy partition.
    edited December 2007
    can I just run that convert command by itself? everywhere i read to convert to ntfs it said that I had to run something else to make the data blocks or something the right size because they are different.

and about the ghost stuff could you explain I am good with computers but not that good.
    edited December 2007
    No you can just do the convert by itself.

The ghost thing is a way of doing an drive or partition duplication from one drive to another. The point of using ghost is that it's a low level duplication so you can migrate the data and it remains intact. Where as you couldn't for example hook up a new drive and just try and copy everything from windows to the new drive and hope the new drive would then work. Just can't happen.