HDD enclosure noisy to start!

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Right, so I have a 2yr old maxtor 160gb IDE HDD, It's currently in a budget enclosure - nothing fancy - most of the time its off now.

When I turn it on it literally screams like a firework, a real nasty screaming sorta noise as its like turning on... after a min or two it becomes much more quiet and basically just a hum like you would expect - but still noisier than my 'manufactured' seagate externals.

After its been on for a while, or used to copy loads of stuff the noise starts to creep up again.

Anyone have any ideas?

(Needless to say I've began to move anything of value from this HDD and leave it just with crappy stuff on it that im not *that* bothered about)

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    Likely it's not sitting correctly in the enclusre, or it's a poor enclosure and it's just vibrating. Pull the enclosure a part and see if the drive makes that noise on it's own, say just holding it in your hand for example.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited December 2007
    ok, newbie question, is it safe to hold a drive in my hand whilst its operating?! - presumably I can tell the same thing by just sitting it on a desk out of the enclosure?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    osaddict wrote:
    ok, newbie question, is it safe to hold a drive in my hand whilst its operating?! - presumably I can tell the same thing by just sitting it on a desk out of the enclosure?

Yes it's safe, just don't spin it around 'Like-a-pizza-pi-A'. You can also set it on the desk if your cables are long enough. Either way it doesn't matter, the goal is to issolate to see if the drive is making the noise or your case. I would bet it's your case, because honestly if your drive is screaming it's likely 2 feet in the grave, with a precarious grasp on the edge.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited December 2007
    Cool, ill give that a try tomorrow (or perhaps Sunday - tonight's our office xmas party haha)

It was a pretty budget 'sumvision' case, so we shall see...