What about the Wii? (and GC games)

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Gaming
I decided to buy something interesting so I ordered a Wii the other day (from Amazon with Super Paper Mario when it was in stuck). I was speaking to a friend at work about it and she's been looking into a Gamecube and when I found out the Wii was backwards compatible that kinda sold it for me (access to cheap(er) games from a long-standing console). A few other friends wanted me to get a 360 but in all honesty the games I'd get for it I'd rather get for the PC so that would defeat the purpose, added to all the horror stories and having to pay for Live, put me off. The PS3's insane price, lack of backwards compatability and high cost games made me completely disinterested. So the Wii had things and games that I'd not get on the PC so that's what sold it...

Anyway, now that that's on order... I was looking around for games... but in all honesty, I don't see that many. Annoyingly I thought I played Ratchet and Clank at a friends place on his Gamecube but I found out it was actually on his PS2.

So, what good GC games are there really? There's less than I thought which was worrying and they seem to be going for around £10 on eBay which is also more than I was expecting.

In addition, why did you buy a Wii? What does it have that people should want it for (excluding Wii sports because that's obvious and excluding Zelda because I hate it with a passion for personal reasons).

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The motion controls are really cool for the Wii... Shooting games (such as Resident Evil 4 etc.) are especially cool since you just point at the screen and shoot. Super Paper Mario and Metroid are awesome if you're not into Zelda. As for older GC games I'd recommend the Burnout series. I think you'll be very happy with the Wii!!
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited December 2007
    Gamecube wise, I would say there are some classics... Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash !, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Various Star Wars games, Paper Mario and of course Super Smash Brothers Melee :bigggrin: Rather than eBay check your local GameStation (they appear to be clearing GC titles atm). I bought a Wii because I have come to love these game series, and wanted to see how Nintendo would implement the controller in existing titles (I thought it was going to be a flop at first :sad2:) Hope this helped ! :tongue:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Hrm, I'll have a look in Game and Gamestation next week some time when I get a chance. I'm primarily looking for single player games atm (or games that have decent single player even if they are MP based). MP games will come later, plus it seems the Wii has some good native ones anyway.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited December 2007
    I recommend looking into Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion & Trauma Center: New Blood. You play the role of a surgeon performing various operations. It uses the wiimote functionality really well and its surprisingly fun and easy to pick up.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    Depends what style of games you like. Need for Speed: Prostreet is a lot of fun for wii. I don't know why, but controlling it with the wiimote like a steering wheel just feels a lot more fun.

Resident evil 4 (for wii) is an amazing survival game. But don't be fooled it's a survival game first, which means it doesn't have the fluid controls of a shooter.

Medal of Honor 2 is one of the best FPS WWII shooters I've ever played and the controlls on the Wii are sublime. It plays better then Metroid Prime does for the Wii. Plus I'm finding it really challenging which is good.

Guitar Hero III

If you like sorta cute military based games Battalion Wars 2 is pretty cool. You control a commander on the field and issue commands to your troops as you run missions and blow stuff up. The graphics are pretty well done and have a nice cartoony/anime look to them.

Trauma Center is an excellent series and the new one is better then the first. Not that they've changed the game significantly but they've added the ability for 2 player mode which is a nice touch.

If you like platformers then Super Mario Galaxy is an awesome experience a a true successor to the Super Mario series.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Seems the Wii games are staying expensive for now, they are still £25 or so SECOND HAND in Gamestation and even worse in Game... so that's no fun, there are a few Gamecube games I want to pick up now that I've just picked up a Logic 3 GC controller. I also ordered an XBox 360 Elite so I picked up some games for that too. The reason for the Wii is it's "different" games or ones that are better with the special controler and its Gamecube compatability.

Annoyingly eBay doesn't seem like a cheap place to pick up games for any of them, I'll keep my eyes open though.