Dual SMP on OSX?

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Folding@Home
Just what it says, fellas -

I can run dual SMP w/ Affinity Changer in Vista, I can run dual SMP in Linux as shown by the thread a few down, but I don't think anybody's answered this for OSX. Anybody have any ideas or some outside knowledge?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    lol, 244 views and nary a response. Sad face!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    Could be that no one knows have a look around here and mebbe register and ask the question or check the mac based teams pages.
    http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=ffbe3f26f5ecb9d224529a2491becfcc
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Oh, I wasn't complaining, I just thought it amusing. I didn't really expect much, just thought I'd throw it out there. :) It was funny to me to see 250 views and zero responses, I don't think I've ever seen that kind of disparity before.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    Only a very small percentage of our community uses a Mac- primesuspect being one. Likely none that do have a Mac have a quad and if they did they likely did not trouble themselves setting it up as a dual SMP rig. The rest of Foldingdom is probably much in the same shape.

I saw this thread about right after you posted it. Of the articles that I read, none specifically called out OS-X with dual SMPs but many that do run SMP on OS-X say that it runs it "just like Linux". From that association I'd think that you could find a similar solution of running VMWare, etc.- but since I don't own a MAc and don't know- I didn't trouble myself ... and left it for someone who might.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I must admit, I looked in here and "HOPED" someone would post a reply since I have NO idea. I know SMP on a MAC is not officially support but maybe there are some nice folks out there that have gotten it to work. :scratch:
    edited December 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I must admit, I looked in here and "HOPED" someone would post a reply since I have NO idea. I know SMP on a MAC is not officially support but maybe there are some nice folks out there that have gotten it to work. :scratch:
    SMP is supported on intel macs just not PPC macs :bigggrin: edit fergit ther linky to mac smp pages

http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=ed1815c2986e5f8bc3e96556426d2708
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    SMP is supported on intel macs just not PPC macs :bigggrin: edit fergit ther linky to mac smp pages
    See... another example why I didn't post. I was 50% correct!!! ;D

Thanks for the "CORRECT" info, Spike. ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I don't have a quad core mac :-/ I have a dual core and a powerPC imac..

Maybe I can convince the boss I need a quad..... :crazy:
    edited December 2007
    NP Q just passing on what little info i had :bigggrin:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2007
    I don't have a quad core mac :-/ I have a dual core and a powerPC imac..

Maybe I can convince the boss I need a quad..... :crazy:

Dont need quad to run 2x SMP clients. Just run 2 clients anyway to test it out.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    For what it's worth I just started running the smp client on my intel mac, detected that it is using an smp core and it's now chugging along fine. Note that it's just the regular 1 processor 2 core imac.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    it looks like mac/osx doesn't have taskset (or the schedutils package), which you need to run dual smp (without a vm). If anyone knows how to control processor affinity on a mac, then you should be able to do it.