22" Monitor

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Hai all,
I'm on the hunt for a new monitor, my budget is £190 and it needs to be widescreen and gloss black. I had my eyes on:

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2255wmb.htm

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QWT&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,49810000

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125099

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=48ZW&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,49810000

Some of them are slightly overbudget but I'd like second, third, fourth (etc) opinions on these monitors. Ideally I'd buy a VX2255wmb since my dad has one and I've seen and fallen in love with it already :P I'm a PC gamer so if while browsing you could keep that in mind. Thanks in advance
Haru

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Gloss black meaning the bezel is glossy, or the screen itself?

We have a review of the 226BW's little brother up on the site, you should check it out. One word of caution is that that particular model comes with a panel lottery; you either get a great panel or a terrible one. Samsung decided, for a period of time, to buy panels elsewhere and quality suffered dramatically. The 226CW is supposed to have fixed those issues with only the better of the two panels being used, but AFAIK there is no way to tell.

If you're looking for glossy coating on the screen itself (like a laptop) I strongly recommend the HPw2207. I picked one up about a month ago and I'm still oogling over it. I chose it over the 226BW.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    The stand/edge of the screen, like in the VX2255wmb
    edited December 2007
    So if I was to buy the Samsung SM226BW it'd be pot luck as to the quality of the monitor I get? If the quality is crap can I send it back with a "this is not the quality I expected from your services" speech and get my money back? :P
    Im tempted to steer away from it anyway, it's the most expensive there and apparently the most unreliable.
    edited December 2007
    The model itself is not unreliable, everything I've read about it makes it seem like the second coming of Christ himself. It's ensuring that you're getting the correct revision of it that is the problem. I shopped at "big box" stores in my area to take advantage of the return policies in place - easier to drive and return than to ship back to newegg.com. Might want to check that out, though I have no idea of the offerings in Eeen-ga-lond.

Acer is always spoken highly of, too, though. I doubt you'd lose with them. I was really close to pulling the trigger on that same 22'' model you purchased. The only reason I didn't was because I was really looking for something that had the glossy coating my laptop screen did. I love the way colors look on it compared to my old Samsung 730B w/matte finish. That's a very personal preference, though. Some people love the coating, most hate it.

Edit: There's a website that I stumbled across on [H]ard|OCP that allows you to see who manufactures panels for individual types of monitors. I can't find the damn thing right now, but I'll keep looking.
    edited December 2007
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2007
    Just migrated to a 22" myself Harudath and the hanns g hg216d is a corker using it dvi to hdmi from a x1900xt it runs all my games perfectly. got mine from the UK high street for £160. so places like aria etc should be cheaper.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2007
    Take a look at the Dell E228WFP. Its cheap, has great color out of the box and is nice and quick. Its pretty bare-bones as far as ergonomics are concerned, but its a great deal if you can find it on sale. I've seen it for as low as $249CDN. I've been very happy with it over the last six months or so.
    edited December 2007
    I was thinking about spending £10 more than my budget and getting the VX2255wmb from Costco. Their return policy is awesome. You could take it home, kick it, drop it in a swimming pool, fill the pool with molten lead, pull the monitor out, put it back in the box and return it for your money back or a replacement. Valid as long as you have a receipt. (Is that how you spell it? :P)
    edited December 2007
    ...you give yourself options, but you know you really want the Acer. If you want it that badly, just go buy it. Why kid yourself?
    edited December 2007
    'coz I wanted second opinions on the options I listed up there. I wanted to make sure, besides my insane urge to get the viewsonic, if this was a wise idea or not. Also.. What Acer? There is no mention of an Acer monitor here afaik, or one specifically at least.
    edited December 2007
    Read my previous post and Acer stuck in my mind rather than Viewsonic.

You're not looking for a second opinion, you're looking for someone to talk you out of the one you want. Just go buy it, you'll be happy with it.
    edited December 2007
    not so much talk me out of it... just suggest a better one