Speakers

MathsParMathsPar New
edited December 2007 in Hardware
I've had the same speakers for my PC for about 5 years now, they're some generic ones that came with my old PC. So I was browsing the Scan website today for the first time in a while cause I remembered they normally have great Today Only deals. And I stumbled over this,

http://scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=17004

I don't know much about speakers, let me rephrase, I don't know anything about speakers but at the price of £66 I assume these have something going for them. They're in the Today Only section for £17.61, that's like over 70% off!

Problem is the information page doesn't have the Specs up yet and by the time I phone when they're open next week the deal will be gone.

So do you think I should just gamble on them being good cause they're priced high normally? It's a long shot but has anyone ever owned these speakers? Anyone recommend some good, cheap speakers?

On googling I didn't come up with much, a few people had it in their custom builds though. The UK official website for it doesn't have it listed in the products section.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Since you're asking this question on multiple forums you might as well ask this guy. He owns a set.

-drasnor :fold:
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited December 2007
    Just the two forums I trust for good answers, thanks for the link, I've dropped that guy an email.

Think I'll order it tonight to make sure I get the deal then phone Scan up tomorrow asking for the specs. If they turn out to be rubbish I'll just cancel.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Do some research man. If you are serious about your sound then don't skimp. You get what you pay for in most cases.
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited December 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Walkman-Computer-Speakers-PCL25-Power-Adapter_W0QQitemZ110207742994QQihZ001QQcategoryZ112518QQcmdZViewItem

That's the kind I currently have so anything will probably be an improvement lol.

I'm really just wanting some cheap speakers and figured since the UMax are reduced by £50 they should do the job.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    MathsPar wrote:
    Just the two forums I trust for good answers, thanks for the link, I've dropped that guy an email.
    They look okay, but then again there aren't a whole lot of results for a search on that model. In fact, your threads were in the top 5 results when I searched. The lack of available information turns me off on them but YMMV.

As far as brand recognition goes, the only things I know UMAX for are scanners and Macintosh clones. They did both of those pretty well though so if they show the same attention to detail in their other products you ought to be alright.

-drasnor :fold: