Hard Drive

edited December 2007 in Hardware
I just reformatted a computer and it had 2 hard drives in it, everything went smooth until I went to my computer and the second drive which I only use for storage is not listed, it shows up in the bios and under computer management in administrative tools, how do I get this drive back, I uninstalled from devise manager and I tried unhooking the drive completely restarted the computer and turned it back off and re hooked everything back up, still nothing. PLEASE help.

Comments

• HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    What OS are you running ?

Under system admin (in like Win2K) you have to actually add the new or "extra" hard drive
  • edited December 2007
    XP Pro and I tried that and it did not work.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    If the drive is showing up under device manager but not as a D: drive for example there are a couple of possibilities, did you wipe the drive, but no format it so that it's now got no file system in it, or did you somehow make it part of a virtual filesystem so that both your drives are now being recognized as 1 larger drive?
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    If you are "comfortable" with making .iso CDROMs or DVDs --- download and burn GPARTED ---- its a great bootable disk tool whether you're doing Linux or Windows work
    boot it ---- you should see both disks --- CAREFULLY choose your secondary disk - delete any existing partitions - create a partition - then do a NFS format

GPARTED requires you to hit the Apply Button to actually make each action happen

I said CAREFULLY because GPARTED will happily blow away your primary partition :sad2: which I did while in a hurry one day .... bad day !