Bum Power Supply (and does X-Connect suck??)

CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
edited December 2007 in Hardware
(Long post - hope someone is patient)

My old comp was giving me BSOD's and CTD's for about a month. Athlon XP3200, 2GB, Radeon 850, SB Live 5.1, X-Connect 500w psu.

After the BSOD's, Windows usually told me it was one of many possible hardware problems (most useless info you can imagine). One time, however, it told me it was the sound card. So I yanked the card and started using the onboard (Abit NF7-S). The BSOD's stopped, but I still had crashes during a few games (FIFA Manager 08 was a big problem).

So, not needing any more excuses, I decided to update the system. I bought a E6320, Zalman 9500 Fan, Asus P5N-E, 2 GB of Corsair, and a BFG 8800GT. I'm continuing to use the Ultra X-Connect psu.

At stock speed I haven't had any issues, but even at a modest overclock (2GHz, 1.3v VCore) I am having games freeze (the same games as before).
Prime95 crashed when oc'd to 2.45GHz, but ran fine at stock speed. Bioshock demo crashed when oc'd to 2.45Ghz, but ran fine at 1.86GHz.

The temps are relatively low, even overclocked (43 degrees under load at 2.4GHz).

So, based on the same symptoms, I'm of the opinion that the less-than-one year old power supply I've been using is crap, and that it is providing only a marginal amount of headroom. My brother thinks it's the overclocking that is causing the problems, and thinks I should exchange the CPU at Fry's.

Opinions?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I had an ultra power supply for six days and both capacitors popped. I won't get another one, trust me.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited December 2007
    So I guess you vote for the power supply being the culprit . . .
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Totally for sure. I was having a similar problem with an Aspire 500W, I was overdrawing the amps by 2, so at full load some things didn't like staying on. Like hard drives.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    You've ruled out everything that can destabilize a system except the PSU.