Wierd chirping noise from case

sweavesweave boston
edited December 2007 in Hardware
last couple of nights and more so today i keep hearing this wierd chirping noise from inside my case.

i have a nzxt lexa case
a gigabyte p35-dq mobo
a tuniq tower for my q6600 cpu
2 seagate hds (1 320 and 1 500)
and an ultra 600w infinity psu

i cant figure out where it is coming from (it's one of those annoying all over echoing sounds)
the lexa came with 4 case fans
and the tuniq has one inside of it

as far as temps go
my avg temp is below 30C with high loads putting it up to 37 (rarely)

at first i thought it was a warning beep from the mobo but it just doesnt sound like it.
and neither does it sound like a noise from the HDs (usually the only things i ever hear anyone as everything else is virtually inaudible)

i do have a lot of cabling in the case but i have most of it tied off

i'm going to give the case a good dusting tommorow and recheck all the cabling
that seemed to have a slight affect on it when i blew some canned air into it tonight so i'm guessing there might be some dust somewhere clogging something up.

anyone else encountered something like this?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    You must have a sparrow and/or a canary - possibly a finch - inside of there.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited December 2007
    just in case there isn't any of the above in there..

maybe stop each fan individually and see if the noise goes away?
    I doubt it has anything to do with temps..just a fan thing (maybe cpu fan blades are rubbing against some fins? that could sound like a chirp I guess)
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2007
    You must have a sparrow and/or a canary - possibly a finch - inside of there.

there's more than enough room for one thats for sure

honestly i thought there was a cricket in my room at first :tongue:
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2007
    just in case there isn't any of the above in there..

maybe stop each fan individually and see if the noise goes away?
    I doubt it has anything to do with temps..just a fan thing (maybe cpu fan blades are rubbing against some fins? that could sound like a chirp I guess)

that's what i'm thinking
    the noise has stopped though since i went and blasted the innards with another spray of canned air
    either it unclogged the dust or more likely moved a stray wire a bit over
    in either case i'll figure it out tommorow.
    was planning on replacing all the fans next month anyway so maybe this is a sign to do it now ^___^

btw is there any other way to tell when a fan is about to die on you other than just when it does die on you?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    When you spin it with your finger, it doesn't spin in steps, or feels gritty as it spins but both of those are fixable and I can walk you through it if you're good at working with small parts.