raided hds, new motherboard, windows won't load

edited December 2007 in Hardware
Hi all,
My past motherboard died so I replaced it. I previously had a raid 5 array and now have that hooked up to the new motherboard. At startup, the computer recognizes the array and labels it as healthy. Yet when the computer tries to load up Windows, the Windows startup screen flashes for less than a second, and the computer restarts. Someone said that the problem may be that Windows does not have the drivers of this motherboard installed. Does it sound like that is the problem? And if so, does anyone know how I can install those drivers even though Windows can't load up?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    That sounds right to me that windows doesn't have the correct raid drivers loaded. I'd suggest doing a repair install and just putting in the right drivers.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I'm gonna ask this question and hope you know this. If your OS is in that 5 array, you did buy the same board you used to have, right?
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    Indeed ! You probably have multiple driver issues with the new MB --- including the Raid drivers ---- best bet is to try booting into safe mode and start updating drivers. Does the Raid Array have the OS on it as well ?
  • edited December 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    That sounds right to me that windows doesn't have the correct raid drivers loaded. I'd suggest doing a repair install and just putting in the right drivers.

I tried doing the Windows repair and installing the drivers, but it didn't help.
    I'm gonna ask this question and hope you know this. If your OS is in that 5 array, you did buy the same board you used to have, right?

I bought a similar (same company, just about the same specs) but not exact same model. Do I need the same exact model? Someone on another forum told me that a windows reinstall would fix this problem, but I'm not sure if windows would know to stripe itself across the 3 harddrives.
    HW_Hack wrote:
    Indeed ! You probably have multiple driver issues with the new MB --- including the Raid drivers ---- best bet is to try booting into safe mode and start updating drivers. Does the Raid Array have the OS on it as well ?
    Yes, the array does have windows already on it. Windows won't load up in safe mode, either. :(
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    That's because the drivers windows has for that raid array, and possibly the stripe offset may require them to be rebuilt on your host. Both ways I can tell you to do it kill all the data on the drives.
  • edited December 2007
    That's because the drivers windows has for that raid array, and possibly the stripe offset may require them to be rebuilt on your host. Both ways I can tell you to do it kill all the data on the drives.

So buying the same exact model motherboard as I previously had would be best if I'm looking to save the hd data? If so, I'll just do that.

Thanks so much for the help
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    When you create a RAID array, migrating that array to a new motherboard means the new motherboard must use the same RAID controller, or something in the same family (Meaning they could use the same driver download). For example, an array create with a board using a Promise controller can't be migrated to a Silicon Image controller.

This is why it's always best to use an independent card when deciding to use RAID, as motherboard changes won't screw you.
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited December 2007
    ""Yes, the array does have windows already on it. Windows won't load up in safe mode, either.""

My comments here are not to "heap more problems" on to an already big issue -- i.e. Your PC has crapped out
    but just to give you something to consider as you rebuild your system.

I've done a few raid systems and many systems with multiple hard drives -- and whether you're doing one or the other .... you should consider the following to both a boost performance and make dealing with future problems easier to recover from.

When going to Raid or dual hard drives --- always put the OS and the applications on the primary drive - and put your data files - pics - video files on the array or secondary drive. AND ... make sure the raid array or the second HD is on the secondary IDE channel (older systems) or as suggested a PCI card.

Doing this will boost performance of data through-put. Keep in mind the OS is always doing "house-keeping" activities AND time-slicing through all the active processes --- a lot of this creates traffic to the HD to update files etc. Many Apps also do background house keeping. Now if your data - apps - OS all live on the same disk (or array) -- all this activity is happening on the same data highway ( so to speak) so it gets pretty busy - traffic jams etc. Now if you split things as I indicated ... your OS and App activity is happening on one highway -- and your data reads and writes are on a second highway. Parallel read/writes can now occur.

Secondly - your data is now separate from the OS + Apps. As long as you back up your data you can survive most any HW or SW disaster. In the case of your recent MB demise --- you would buy a new MB -- just boot the primary HD in safe mode load all the needed drivers (get it stable) then add back the second HD or Array.

Again - I don't want to drabble on here - just something to consider as you rebuild your system with whatever MB. I haven't done a lot with SATA - but same principles apply just make sure the SATA drives are on different data channels or disk controllers

good luck