Transferring Files Over Ethernet

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Is there anyway I can connect two laptops with an ethernet cable and transfer files between them? If not, how can I setup my network (they're on the same home network) so that I can transfer files over the network, like a lan setup.... Thanks guys and incase you're wondering, I got a new laptop.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Crossover. Set them to the same subnet.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Crossover. Set them to the same subnet.

Don't have a car atm. I can't go get a crossover and I don't want to try about 300 different ethernet cables to see if any of them are crossovers. I've been messing with ad-hoc but I can't seem to get it to work. Any help with that?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    In the time it'd take you to futz with the wireless, you could phone a friend to drive you to the nearest office supply or electronics store.

Crossover cable
    Same Subnet
    Create a share
    You're done (with considerably faster speeds)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    If they are both connected to a router, or a hub for that matter then make sure they have the same workgroup name and turn file sharing on.
    edited December 2007
    Well I forgot to check back for replies but I was still messing around with the wireless and googling things when I got an idea from a blog. Now I'm using uTorrent and seeding on one laptop and downloading on the other and I gotta say it's giving me fairly nice speeds. I've gotten up to 800 kbps. It was fine up till about 60% (1.72 GB for this particular file) and but now it keeps connecting and disconnecting. It will connect for a few minutes, download at 600-800 kbps and then it will disconnect and wait for a minute or so to restart. Maybe I just don't understand how torrents work fully, but I don't think it's supposed to do that even if there is only one seeder. Also, the seeding laptop stops seeding for a few minutes, but they aren't necessarily synchronized with each other.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2007
    There are so many better ways then doing it that way. What is your current network setup like?

I mean even transferring through FTP would be faster, many time faster then that way.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Yeh. If all else failed I would have just got a switch and a couple patch cables. You can get 4-6MB/s over ethernet on a good switch.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Maybe even DVDRW's?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Maybe even DVDRW's?

Or a thumb drive too.
    edited December 2007
    Okay, I got a crossover cable today. One laptop is on XP and the other on Vista Ultimate. I need a step-by-step on how to do this if you guys can guide me. Thanks a lot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html

Then share folders.

Google result #5.
    edited December 2007
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while but I was busy transferring data for 2 whole days (48 hours). I got a crossover about halfway through and I got up to a 6 MB/s transfer rate which was good. I transfered a total of about 50 GB about 4 times because I ran into some problems with Vista. It was truly a lot easier than using torrents.