BSOD Stop 0x8E

edited December 2007 in Hardware
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have been searching on the net about my laptops specfic problem and have been getting many answers and have learned the BSOD can stem from many many issues, of course. I am receiving random blue screens on my new Gateway laptop running Vista. Here are the details:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini122407-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 820818A3
BCP3: 87B537AC
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 34f13a6f-2d6a-4f63-9049-06d191a21519

I read this 0x0000008e and 0xC0000005 STOP error can be coming from a bad driver, or bad RAM, or malware such as hexdoor. Gateway told me it is the hexdoor virus and there is nothing more they can do to help me. I have scanned my computer with avast, M$ malware removal tool, trend micro, stinger, spybot, some rootkit scanner, etc. all coming up with nothing. So, I am doubting it is a virus.

I am running Vista on just 1GB or RAM. Do you think this BSOD is coming from not having enough RAM or could there be a bad driver issue. I already updated my display adapter driver and got the BSOD after the upgrade. It seems to me the blue screen is happening while on the Internet, using the new Yahoo! Mail. I am not sure if the new mail system could cause such a problem, but I figured to mention this as I am trying to paint a full picture. I am kind of running out of ideas. Do you need a HJThis log? If anyone can offer some guidance, I would really appriciate it. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Rob

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    How long have you ACUALLY had it?

Try taking out the hard drive and putting it into another computer and see if it works without BSOD. if it does, then yar, its a hardware problem. Is it still under warranty? If it is, you might just want to do whatever the warranty can do, because the warranty is your friend *thumbs up*
  • edited December 2007
    Well, I want to exchange this laptop for a new one as it has only been 2 weeks. Gateway told me what I got is a virus, haxdoor and there is no support for this blue screen. Anyway, I followed some steps I found on this forum and we will see what happens.

I ran memtest for 4 hours and no errors were found. Also, I scanned with many scanners and no virus is found. And I unticked hksmd.exe in msconfig, and am thinking this is the problem as per what I have read.