Straight Out Of The Box...."Verifying DMI Pool Data"

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited December 2007 in Hardware
*waves to everyone*

lol it's been awhile

So lets get down to the issues....

Brand new HP computer running Vista works perfectly yesterday. Today, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" (with a disk read error) at start up and nothing else. Only thing that has changed is installing the internet, which worked up until now....

I pretty much know it's a hardware issue...but to avoid sending a computer straight out of the box back to HP. I was wondering if it would be possible to create recovery disks from a different computer with vista and use it on this one?

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    *waves back* :)

I found this link; it may help. Not sure about the feasability of the recovery disks?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Later-model HP computers have what's called a "Tattoo." It's a small digital signature applied to the very beginning of a hard drive, that must similarly match a code in the computer's BIOS. HP discs verify the tattoo against a code on the disc, and if there's a mismatch, the restore CD will reject the PC and eject the disc.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Well...I ended up fixing it

Put the recovery disks in, said it wouldn't work...restarted it, and boom, it started rebuilding the hard-drive...

*mutters something about vista being strange*

It didn't even tell me it was going to wipe it. Just..."Configuring Updates" and done. :-/