Dead Dell Inspiron 1150

edited January 2008 in Hardware
My wife's Inspiron 1150 won't power up, after 130.00 repair on a power connector didin't work I've put the hard drive in a USB enclosure. It powers up and we see it on the new Dell laptop, but we can't seem to drag and drop the files to the new laptop from the old hard drive. What are we doing wrong??

Thanks

Comments

• HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited January 2008
    Well lots more info needed on this one
    rest assured your hard drive is not stopping a power up unless its got a total dead short in it.

And if it won't power up what are you dragging files to ??

- first - when you plug the laptop in to the power brick -- which LEDs light up ? Any ?

- is there an LED on the power brick ?? does it have an LED on ?

- take it back to the shop ...
    - if your power brick is outputting the correct voltage
    - it the power connector is good
    - if the power conversion board (attached to the power connector inside the laptop) is working ... LEDs will light up
    - if the power button / switch is functional

If all of the above "ifs" are true then the laptop should attempt to boot --- if any of the above are not true you have a problem

- You can also try unplugging the power -- removing the battery -- plug the power back in (with no battery) now see if it works
    may have a massive battery issue (if this works DO NOT PUT THE BATERY BACK IN)
  • edited January 2008
    HW_Hack wrote:
    Well lots more info needed on this one
    rest assured your hard drive is not stopping a power up unless its got a total dead short in it.

And if it won't power up what are you dragging files to ??

- first - when you plug the laptop in to the power brick -- which LEDs light up ? Any ?

- is there an LED on the power brick ?? does it have an LED on ?

- take it back to the shop ...
    - if your power brick is outputting the correct voltage
    - it the power connector is good
    - if the power conversion board (attached to the power connector inside the laptop) is working ... LEDs will light up
    - if the power button / switch is functional

If all of the above "ifs" are true then the laptop should attempt to boot --- if any of the above are not true you have a problem

- You can also try unplugging the power -- removing the battery -- plug the power back in (with no battery) now see if it works
    may have a massive battery issue (if this works DO NOT PUT THE BATERY BACK IN)
  • edited January 2008
    The Inspiron 1150 will not power up so I removed the hard drive and put it into a USB enclosure. When attached to the NEW laptop, also a Dell, it powers up the hard drive and shows up as an external drive on the NEW laptop. How do I get the program files etc from the OLD hard drive to the new laptop so we can use the files on the NEW laptop. We tried to put them side by side in windows explorer on the desk top of the new laptop and drag the old files into the new laptop explorer but they aren't usable this way.
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited January 2008
    halralph wrote:
    The Inspiron 1150 will not power up so I removed the hard drive and put it into a USB enclosure. When attached to the NEW laptop, also a Dell, it powers up the hard drive and shows up as an external drive on the NEW laptop. How do I get the program files etc from the OLD hard drive to the new laptop so we can use the files on the NEW laptop. We tried to put them side by side in windows explorer on the desk top of the new laptop and drag the old files into the new laptop explorer but they aren't usable this way.

You can move the DATA files ( documents - spreadsheets - pics - music) easily to your other laptop
    just drag them to the Documents folder of the new laptop
    you cannot just move / drag the programs (MS office - Games - Photoshop - etc.) those have to be installed
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Back to the old laptop... It sounds like the hard drive is fine so we need to work on the root of the problem with the old laptop. HW_Hack asked so really good questions. What was the $130 repair for? Software/ Operating system stuff or hardware fix? I JUST worked on a Inspiron 1150 that had a broken charging port inside the laptop. It may be the same problem for you... When you plug in the laptop, does the third light (as seen below) light up?

attachment.php?attachmentid=24569&stc=1&d=1198456269
  • edited January 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Back to the old laptop... It sounds like the hard drive is fine so we need to work on the root of the problem with the old laptop. HW_Hack asked so really good questions. What was the $130 repair for? Software/ Operating system stuff or hardware fix? I JUST worked on a Inspiron 1150 that had a broken charging port inside the laptop. It may be the same problem for you... When you plug in the laptop, does the third light (as seen below) light up?

attachment.php?attachmentid=24569&stc=1&d=1198456269
    The repair place told the wife that he replaced the power plug or whatever it's called but it would still not charge the battery. He said he thought that it was something on the motherboard where he soldered the plug that was bad. Thats as far as we got with the "Dell Authorized Service Center" The LED light on the power cord transformer is on when you plug the cord into the wall but goes out when you plug it into the computer. The service guy told her this is bad and they can't fix it without replacing the mother board. All I want to do now is get the crap off the old hard drive AND ONTO THE NEW LAPTOP.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    He lied to you (Or didn't know what he was talking about). If the jack is bad, our man QCH can fix it :)