Multiple problems w HP Pavillion

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Computer is slightly older than 1 yr, lightly used. Mouse stopped working a few wks ago, and I replaced it with a wireless mouse. The next time I powered up I got an error message that a file was missing or corrupt. I removed the new mouse, and rebooted, and everything was fine. The next mouse also died, and I put the wireless mouse back on, and it worked until I powered on/off and got the same error message. Went out and bought two new mice, rebooted, Windows started but wouldn't respond to either mouse (whether wireless, wired, usb or the other connection). Finally wouldn't boot at all, and neither keyboard or mouse had power. I was able to get it to boot from a CD w/OS, got the desktop back, but a new desk top. Data from other user accts is there, but data from my account (HP administrator) seems to be all gone. Keyboard does work, but no mouse of any kind has power (my abilities without a mouse are limited. Heck even with a mouse they are limited!)
HP is sending me a recovery CD. In the meantime, is my data really gone? Why is no power going to USB ports? Was the initial mouse problem a symptom or cause?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    WOW... first off,your data shouldn't be gone. Sounds like Windows made you another "HP Administrator" profile. Do you have an external hard drive or partitioning software available to you?
  • edited January 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    WOW... first off,your data shouldn't be gone. Sounds like Windows made you another "HP Administrator" profile. Do you have an external hard drive or partitioning software available to you?

Here is the semi final resolution to my sad tale. A friend hooked my hard drive up as "slave" to his computer, and concluded that my data was indeed gone, or at least he could not find it. Somewhere along my long and winding way i had created a new "HP Administrator" user account-the default account which I had used as my account_and in creating this new account, my old account had been obliterated, leaving other user accounts (my spouse, daughter) intact.

I received the recovery CD from HP and went ahead and reformatted my hard drive as per my TAP advisor insistence. I have a working windows environment again-accept of course have to reinstall all apps, ect, which is really a major pain.

However, here is the real rub. My mouse (the one with the color coded plug) port is truly dead. A usb mouse does work but here is the kicker-if ANY usb device is left in when powering on/off, I get the system 32 error message again that started this whole epic journey. If I remove the devices, windows starts successfully. So I now suspect that there was nothing wrong with my hard drive all along, but the problem is with whatever is sensing the external ports (would that be the motherboard???) Since this unit has another 2 years on a service contract, I am going to try to get it replaced. They have offered a replacement of the hard drive, but I don't think that that will fix it. Am I right? What should I ask for???

My spouse said we should avoid HP units in the future, but I'm ready to go back to Apple!!!

Thanks for your help.