I need to replace this PSU

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited January 2008 in Hardware
My computer recently started making a really loud noise, like a harsh rubbing sound

I opened the comp up to try and get a better idea which component was to blame and sure enough my PSU has decided to start making noise

The model is the following and I would like to track down the equivalent but a more reliable brand and preferably much more quiet. Even when this PSU was brand new it was never very quiet

http://www.fsp-power.ru/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=52&proid=198

Oh and I'm in the UK so if anyone can find me a deal in this neck of the woods it would be most appreciated

Many thanks guys and a Happy New Year to everybody

Comments

• edited January 2008
    It's not the cheapest around, but the Corsair HX520 is a high quality Seasonic-built psu that will give you some future upgradability and a 5 year warrantee. It is also a very quiet psu and is built with high quality Japanese 105 C rated capacitors. I don't know how good this store is though; someone from your side of the pond might be able to link you up with it at another store in the UK if they aren't reputable. I have the 620 watt version of that psu and it is a great unit. It will also give you enough reserve power to be able to upgrade that computer in the future to just about any single high end vid card configuration and quad core processor with no power worries.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    you could replace the fan.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited January 2008
    cheers for the responses guys

@ mudd, that seems to be a pretty good option i will bare it in mind

@shwaip, not really confident i would be able to do that, plus the psu is pretty rubbish anyways so its best to scrap it!

anybody else got any more suggestions?