Help Hard Drive Cleaning

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi

I want to create more space on my main hard drive. I have already deleted the files that I don't need. I want to know which other files I can remove safely.

THANKS

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Open "My Computer", Right click on the C drive and choose "properties" then under the pie chart...select disk cleanup, it will tell you what you have and where to delete things.

Let it delete all temp files, all internet files, any office setup files, webclient/publisher temp files.
    You can let it compress old files, but that may take awhile and I never do, but that is just choice.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You could also download cCleaner, it will usually open up a lot of space; especially on the first run.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Thelemech wrote:
    You could also download cCleaner, it will usually open up a lot of space; especially on the first run.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I can vouch for that. On my very first run of cCleaner it opened up 3-4 GB. Definitely something to look into.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Barely gave me back 67mb and I've had this install for like...A year now.
    edited January 2008
    Barely gave me back 67mb and I've had this install for like...A year now.

Probably you do routine cleaning manually? :cool:

Or you ar just the best YAD evar! :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

:beer::doh:
    edited January 2008
    Well I never really give cleaning my drives much thought save for clearing my registry every so often after uninstalling crap.
    edited January 2008
    Well I never really give cleaning my drives much thought save for clearing my registry every so often after uninstalling crap.

..:wink: no offense meant!

:beer:(hint)

:nudge::cheers:

Edit:/ I usually clean the crap off my machines regularly ... with several different programs etc..
  • edited January 2008
    Sometimes cleaning my registry with CCleaner has made it so my computer doesn't work properly on two occassions I don't understand what exactly it did to my registry but who knows.
    edited January 2008
    No, I know you meant nothing, I was just commenting on it.
    edited January 2008
    Sometimes cleaning my registry with CCleaner has made it so my computer doesn't work properly on two occassions I don't understand what exactly it did to my registry but who knows.

Yeah, I do not use the Issues part of cCleaner much anymore; once it borked a perfectly fine cd-writer somehow, and it kept saying error please insert disc blah blah, until I re-installed the burning software. I usually use the registry cleaners in SystemMechanic and Tune Up Utilities; they seem to work very well. Though they are both pay for software. The only free one I have much experience with is Wise Registry Cleaner, that so far has not caused any damage.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2008
    Some simple ways to get some space back

1) Reduce the size of your Recycle bin to 1%
    2) Go into your internet explorer settings and reduce the size of the cache to like 50mb
    3) Go into your system settings and lower the size of the system restore cache. Though that will limit your amount of restore points if that's something you rely on.
    4) Turn off drive indexing. This may or may not give back some space, but it'll help with speed.