Random restarts every few hours

thefadedlinethefadedline Manchester, England
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi all, I'm back with yet another problem.

Basically, every couple of hours, my computer restarts itself. It always seems to be at random and regardless of what I am running. It seems to happen more when left idle (whether programs are running or not), but has happened when in use (gaming, Cubase etc). I've run a few virus/spyware scans to no avail.

I'm a complete novice with computers so I have no idea what information would help any of you with my problem, but my specs are in my signature.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Matt.

Comments

• thefadedlinethefadedline Manchester, England
    edited January 2008
    I ran Memtest86+ and the results were 4 passes and 0 fails. I ended it after an hour and a half as I was told it would run forever otherwise, and even 1 pass is okay. I will try the hard drive test later on.

Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yep, so far your RAM is good! :) Let's hope the HDD is too.
    edited January 2008
    Hi Thrax.

I just tried to run the hard-drive test but it hangs when detecting my 'secondary master'. I left it for around 10 minutes and nothing happened, it just reads 'detecting secondary master'. Is something wrong, or am I just not doing something right?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The program can sometimes be fussy. DOS just isn't a friendly environment these days, and some newer hardware just throws the program through a loop.

Alternatively you can try Seagate's Seatools DOS app, which has a full hard drive scan which accomplishes the same thing.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited January 2008
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    What do you have for a Power Supply?
    Are you connected through a UPS?
    edited January 2008
    Hi again.

I ran both the basic and advanced tests on each hard-drive (using SeaTools) with all 4 tests resulting in a pass.

I'm not sure which power supply I have, although I do know it's quite new. It replaced my old power supply around six months ago, give or take a few. As far as I know, I'm not connected through a UPS. How do I check my power supply? I'm a complete novice, as I said. :p

So I now know the cause is not my processor or any of my hard-drives. What else could it be?

Thanks for all of this help guys.
    edited January 2008
    Just a little update.

Can anyone find any additional information on tsnpstd3.exe? I know it's to do with webcams (and I did get a webcam recently) but I was wondering if it's harmful at all? Just, I just unplugged my webcam and the computer restarted the second I did it.

It's probably unrelated but I've disabled the webcam's drivers and processes to see if anything happens. I've also stopped the drivers/processes starting themselves up with my computer too. I'll only use them when I use my webcam which isn't very often.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I know this might not be an answer, but I had a problem a few years ago with a older webcam that I tried to install on a new machine and was experiencing similar problems as you. If the webcam was in the usb at start up it would instantly restart, and if placed in after it would crash the computer as soon as the webcam app. was launched. I un-installed and re-installed to no avail!
    Eventually just moved the webcam to a different machine...nuked all traces of it on the previous machine and the problem went away.

Edit:/ Just wondering when the last time was that you cleaned the inside of your case(dust bunnies etc...), as the symptoms you are describing could also be caused by overheating.

Some info on that exe.
    http://www.castlecops.com/s16053-tsnpstd3.html
    edited January 2008
    Hi Thelemech,

I don't think the problem is overheating. I have HD Tune installed which monitors my temperatures and they usually average out at around 35°. The computer was also cleaned out (physically) around 2 months ago, when I had a new processor put in.

I'm just gonna play the waiting game for now to see if the webcam is what's causing the problem.

Thanks for your help.
    edited January 2008
    NP! ....And if that webcam is not the problem, I am sure that one of the other great Icrontian Technicians will drop another idea or three! Will figure out what the problem is! On a side note you may want to post a Hi-jackthis log in the spyware area, just to be sure you do not have any nasties hiding from your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.You may be infected by something new or particularly nasty. A knowledgeable computer guru once stated that preemptive anticrapware programs had a great uselessness ( I believe that was Sir Thrax!?!)
    edited January 2008
    I left my computer running throughout the night and it didn't restart itself once.

I have a USB-powered USB hub... I think the problem might have been too much going into it, because now I've unplugged the webcam and it hasn't restarted. I've been told mains-powered USB hubs are much more stable.
    edited January 2008
    Glad to hear that your computer is running again.
    edited January 2008
    I just hope that I haven't spoke to soon!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2008

I'm not sure which power supply I have, although I do know it's quite new. It replaced my old power supply around six months ago, give or take a few.

It's a decent one mate, an Antec trio, around 500W I think.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'll go back and clean some comments.
    I asked about UPS, uninterpretable power supply. These are the battery units that are between the wall socket and all of your dearly loved electronics. The act as filters, voltage stabilizers, surge protectors and battery backup. In some cases fluctuation in main power can upset your PSU in the computer. No, they aren't strictly needed, but I have never operated a computer without one.
    As far as your USB goes, it really depends what you are connecting. If it is stuff that doesn't draw power then your setup will work fine. If you have stuff that uses the USB for power then find one with it's own power connection.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Those USB webcams can screw stuff up, just by existing. They sometimes change a bunch of settings and drivers upon installation.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    edcentric wrote:
    In some cases fluctuation in main power can upset your PSU in the computer. No, they aren't strictly needed, but I have never operated a computer without one.

Seriously! I finally picked up a UPS and suprisingly, every second morning at about 5:00 AM, the UPS has been switching to the battery backup for between 30s and 1:30. But before I had my system running through it, it never skipped a beat in 4 months of living in this place. :confused:

Don't mean to hijack but thought I'd share it. I do feel a heck of a lot safer having that buffer between my computer and the wall. :)

As for the USB, I guess time will tell if the camera is the root cause. Hope it is!
    edited January 2008
    Well, almost 24 hours and still no restarts. I've left Notepad open so I know if it has restarted while I've been out. I really think it was the webcam, though. I think I'll uninstall the drivers...