how do I buy a domain name?

edited January 2008 in Internet & Media
Hi folks - does anyone have a recommended company from which to purchase a couple of domain names? I have a little business idea and the domain names I want are available, so I'd like to buy them, but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners. I'd like to pay the least amount as possible - who wouldn't!?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    godaddy.com should be all you need - I register all my domains through them. Remember that you'll also need a hosting service next.

I think Brian/primesuspect (the other owner) uses dotster...
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks! A hosting service? Does godaddy do that as well? Can I host myself from my PC?

If I don't activate the domains that I buy (i.e. just buy them, but don't use them yet) do I still need a hosting service?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2008
    No as long as you buy the domain names that's all that matters they are yours as long as you keep paying for them. You never have to attach them to something.

As for hosting from your home pc if you have a dynamic IP that's assigned to you from your ISP (and most are) you can't attach that to a domain. You'd have to pay your isp extra (usually $5 a month) for a static IP. Then you could host your website from your house.

Alternatively you can use a service like dyndns.org and setup a dynamic host name.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    1and1.com is good. They're rather cheap, and if you decide you need a host, they can do that too.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited January 2008
    powweb.com is alright, first year $63 and a free domain name for a year. I'm with them at present, get a nice bundle with it.
  • edited January 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    1and1.com is good. They're rather cheap, and if you decide you need a host, they can do that too.

Thanks! What does it mean when the registration for the domain name I want is about to expire? Does that mean it is up for grabs? It seems like all the names I would like are already registered, even if they are not being used (no website by that name). Does that mean I have to buy it from a private party and get screwed on the price?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yes it does.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Dreamhost pwns. Me and a friend split the 500+ some odd gigabytes and the over 5.7tb transfer. I forget what we have, but I only pay about...30 bucks to him.
  • edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes it does.

OK then.... I appreciate to the point answers. Thanks.

BTW - do you know where I can get a PC Card for my laptop that has *powered* firewire ports on it? or at least a PC card that has a plug for an external power cable that takes power from USB or PS/2 port and applies it to the firewire ports?

I have a laptop with a firewire PC card and I sync my ipod to iTunes on the laptop, but my ipod battery doesnt last long enough. Besides, I would like to charge my ipod this way. It works with a desktop PC that has a PCI firewire card. But most laptop ports (at least mine) arent powered.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Ah...Um..You can charge the Ipod via USB, the same way you connect it to your computer..