Computer not booting up!

edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hi all,

my sisters computer which is running windows xp sp2 has been acting weird. First windows kept restarting on the windows loading screen. the next day windows loaded fine but restarted a few minutes after. it did this everytime windows loaded.

Now windows sometimes doesn't even start, and it restarts during POST i believe , when it checks memory on the first screen. Sometimes that screen doesn't even show and monitor shows No Signal.

I am thinking the CMOS battery might have to be replaced....but i wanted to make sure with you guys.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like bad RAM to me.
  • HW_HackHW_Hack North of Kalifornia
    edited January 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Sounds like bad RAM to me.

I would concur on that as a first choice - or some other component has developed a thermal problem (became unstable) and now has failed totally.

If your sisters system has 2 DRAM sticks - try removing one - then other to see if the problem changes

If you have a video card (and on board graphics) try switching to on board graphics
  • edited January 2008
    but should i give the CMOS battery a try?.... or will i just be wasting my time if i try to replace it?

also if its the ram....can i do anything to fix it or do i have to buy new ram? If I have to buy, is there anything i should try before i buy new ram?
    edited January 2008
    The battery is probably barking up the wrong tree. While it happens, it is beyond rare that the cmos battery is dead.

You'll have to buy new RAM to fix it. Most stores offer a 15 day, no-hassle return policy, so buying some cheap RAM to test with (And keep if it works) shouldn't be an issue.
  • edited January 2008
    HW_Hack wrote:
    I would concur on that as a first choice - or some other component has developed a thermal problem (became unstable) and now has failed totally.

If your sisters system has 2 DRAM sticks - try removing one - then other to see if the problem changes

If you have a video card (and on board graphics) try switching to on board graphics

sorry... i read your reply after posting my previous reply.

there is only one RAM stick. but it has 2 Slots, so one is free. and it is already using on board graphics. its a really old computer.

should i try taking her RAM out and try putting the 1Gig stick from my computer in hers? im not sure if her computer will support it though, because i believe it only supports 512mb for one slot.
    edited January 2008
    How new is your computer, and how old is hers? You two may not even have the same type of memory.
  • edited January 2008
    hi guys,

ok i decided to buy new RAM for the computer.

These are the specs of the motherboard:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=845gvm-l

Main Memory

• Supports two 184-pin DDR200/DDR266 DIMMs
    • Supports Max. memory size of 2GB
    • Support 2.5V DDR DIMM
    • No support ECC Function
    Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
    Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
    For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

Ok, i don't know much about RAM. I need help on what it can support. Currently it contains this RAM:

DDR266 256MB PC266

my question are
    1.) can it have any type of DDR memory or just DDR200/DDR266?
    2.) im not sure what PC3200/PC266/PC333 means...will they all work or do i have to choose a specific one?

thanks alot for the help.
    edited January 2008
    Any stick of DDR1 PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200 will work. They may also be listed as DDR-266, DDR-333 or DDR-400.
  • edited January 2008
    Alright thanks. I will tell you how it goes after I buy the ram. :)