looking to buy water block, but...

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
i pretty much narrowed down to either buy the swiftech 5000 or the white water block, but one question came up,

i want the block to beable to use on my future computer, probably a athlon 64 system, if i do get the white water block, do yuo guys think they will come out with a different adapter for the different type of socket that the athlon 64 will use??

Comments

• fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    good choices. I've had no experience with the whitewater block, but I recommend swiftech heartily (very well-made waterblocks).

The mounting method might actually be easier for the whitewater on the new socket if the new boards have the stand-off mounting holes. If the socket itself is a different size (sorry I haven't read up much on the upcoming hammers) you might have more trouble with the MCW5000, which uses the socket clips for AMD processors.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    that is exactly what i'm wondering, but i cloudn't find any info on that matter, so i'm here waiting for someone else's answer, anyone got any idea?
    edited June 2003
    anyone know the release date for the hammers?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Opterons are out and the AMD64s will be out in September. So there is a lot of time left for new products to come out. Unless there is some sort of adapter it wont fit a hammer CPU. Remember there has to be enough furface area to cover the whole chip noe because of the heatspreader.
    edited June 2003
    well, the white water block can u\be used for both the athlon setup, and the p4 setup with just a adapter, so i think there should be enough sruface for the hammers with the heatspreader.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    There's very little doubt that the Swiftech MCW5000 will have an adapter for the A64/Opteron when they arrive. According to Swiftech future compatibilty was part of the design process.

That's why I bought two
    Compatibility & Retention mechanism

The MCW5000™ ships in the following versions:
      * MCW5000-A™ for AMD® Duron®, Athlon® MP, and XP2600 and up. * MCW5000-P™ for Intel® Pentium® 4 (socket 478), 3Ghz and up. * MCW5000-PX™ for Intel® Xeon™ (socket 603/604), 3Ghz and up *
    MCW5000-A64™ Upgrade path: Future compatibility with upcoming Athlon® 64 processors retention mechanism by simply changing the retention frame.
    * MCW5000-PT Thermoelectric assembly for Intel® Pentium® 4 (socket 478) processors - See specific product page for more information.

Conversion from one version to another is extremely simple, and only requires replacing the retention mechanism.
    edited June 2003
    so the mcw5000 would be fine then??
    all i need is a little adapter when i want to use it with the athlon 64 setup, when they come out.

cool
    edited June 2003
    that is cool... too bad i have a mcw462