Gaming laptop for Lan

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Hello there,

I've been to a lot of LAN with my current computer and im getting tired of it. I mean, my computer case is HUGE. Lian Li v2000 is an awesome case but its not made for 'travelling purpose'.

I'm looking for a medium price range laptop that would be able to play some decent game, like WoW or Counter Strike or any hit that we play in LAN. With a laptop going to a LAN would not be as painfull as it is for me now lol

Any good suggestion ? I was thinking about a Dell but they seem a bit pricy.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2008
    Medium price and decent don't really combine for a gaming laptop. Especially if you consider Dell pricey. The trouble is that for decent games most medium priced laptops won't cut it because they have ****ty integrated video cards. From my own experience a laptop capable of semi-decent gaming is going to be in the $1800+ range. You'll want at least a 2gig duo core 2 processor, 2 gigs of ram for the meat and potatoes. It's really the video card that will drive the price up. A lot of onboard video cards don't even support pixel shading.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited January 2008
    I was thinking that with some 1000$ i could buy a laptop that could run games like WoW and CS with Decent graphics (not every setting at maximum, just medium and so on) and loading.

I dont want to play games like Crysis or anything near that kind of video display... I have a computer that can run those game at home so ;)

But eh, if i must spend 2000$ or more to have a decent gameplay even in games like WoW, i'll forget about it :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I got a Compaq Presario V6000 refurbished from Costco for $800 last May. It played all the games that we were playing at the last IC LAN, although some were pretty ugly at that.
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited January 2008
    I, too, once desired a gaming laptop and now that I have one I'll never get another. My advice is to put your money forth on a small form factor that's easy to carry. It'll have better performance and upgrade capabilities.

If you want a laptop get a cheap dell that can surf the net and run MS office. That's all I use mine for now that it doesn't play newer games very well :(
  • edited January 2008
    try DELLs XPS Laptops... they are pretty awesome...
    edited January 2008
    Yeah i can have a decent XPS from Dell with upgraded parts at like 1600$ CND, thats not bad. Reviews are quite good for the dell M1530.

This laptop was even able to run Crysis (with upgraded parts at 1600$ CND) with only few moments of lags.

I guess it will run CS and WoW pretty well.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    check out Sager laptops, Alienware and ABS. Most of these companies make pretty decent machines for 1200-1300 USD.

*EDIT*

I guess ABS no longer makes notebooks, or they don't want to sell any due to the extreme difficulty of finding one on their site.
    edited January 2008
    The Trickster : LoL I guess so :P

Well i've ordered one from Dell, looks pretty decent to me :

XPS M1530
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)

MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

VIDEO BOARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

BOOT HARD DRIVES 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

& more ...

for 1600 CND

I guess i'll be able to play some decent game with this rig, just w/o the graphics on MAX :P
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Sounds GooD! Pardon my pun! :D Happy lanning!
    edited January 2008
    Hahaha Trick im kinda used to this kind of joke ;)

I dont have the computer (its on its way) but i have a question :

The XPS M1530is coming with Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition... But as this windows doesnt seem to procure best gaming performance to what i've read so far, XP was not available for this laptop (its only available with high price gaming laptop, wtf ?) so i was thinking i could just format the computer and install my copy of windows XP on it and thats it...

But then today i looked for the drivers, Dell offer every driver you need for the laptop you have, sounds good... but then i saw that every driver is for VISTA, and vista only. Cuz yeah ok thats the only windows version they sell for this laptop. So im like 'Okay...', and the installer seems to check what kind of version of dell laptop you have and wont let you go if you dont have the good version, so i wont be able to take the higher priced XP driver.

So i have no way to install the Dell Startup kit for XP for exemple, and when i look for driver for my lan onboard network card (Marvell 88E80XX) i cant find anything, maybe its a special card made only for dell laptops ? Cuz even on Marvell website all they talk about is yukon based chips.

Anyway, when i'll have it i'll try it cuz i dont want Vista, im just asking if you think i'll have problem while trying to do it (install xp on a dell xps laptop that is made for vista). I like to have all up-to-date drivers on my computers :P

Thankx ! ;)
    edited January 2008
    Wow, im lucky lol

I found a french forum that talk and explain deeply how to manage to install XP on a Delll M1530 :D ( link : http://www.lesdelliens.com/ )

I'll try that and see how it goes ! ;)